Cwmcarn rocks!

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Cwmcarn rocks!

Post by MartinF »

As I was having to go to Tredegar this morning, and my afternoon meeting in Newport was cancelled, I thought it seemed like a good opportunity to stick the bike in the car & hopefully squeeze in a ride before having to go to Stroud for 6:30pm!

I was slightly daunted by the temp (9.5ºC), the fact that it seemed to be drizzling just about everywhere - though almost dry in Cwmcarn itself - and that the tops of the hills were in the mist! Oh - and that I was the only person there and the signal on my phone was non-existent!!

After the first 1/2 mile or so, all worries about the temp disappeared as I stripped off my outer layers. Certainly is a long climb from the car park.

I thought I'd got lost on the way back down as I'd somehow expected to be coming back down the same valley as the climb up. Not so. You do actually cross into & return most of the way down the neighbouring valley.

Knowing that my time was slightly limited, I was probably a little reckless on some of the descents, with the inevitable result that I got flung over the handlebars at one point. Not sure why - I guess the darkness of the trail under the trees, plus tree roots, plus speed all contributed. No damage to bike fortunately, though my elbow took a hell of bashing (Arnica is wonderful stuff on bruises!).

Some of the sections are scary in that the trail itself is at the same angle as the hillside, meaning a sideslide could take you a long way downhill :shock: Other sections are simply vertiginous (no, I don't like heights!).

During the last couple of miles, the rain started, demanding rather more concentration. As this was also the vertiginous part of the trail, I was trying hard not to look down into the valley far below, whilst trying not to slide around too much on the increasingly slippery & muddy track.

All in all, a fantastic ride which took me 1hr 40 mins. 8)
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Assuming they went ahead - Bristol Mountain Bike Club were planning to do the ride in the dark and the wet last night - rather them than me.

Glad you enjoyed it, I was very jealous yesterday afternoon knowing you were there. I'm sure the bruises will pass, Cwm Carn is definitely a great playground even though it is goodness knows how many feet above sea level - you still see a lot of windsurfers there.
If found, please return to the pub.
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Glad you finally tried this route. I've done it twice once in the dry and once in the wet - loved it both times.

In the summer it is short enough to do in an evening, which makes it even better, excellent way to end the day :wink: