Sunday 13th

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Sunday 13th

Post by NigelP »

Geoff (from Cornwall) and I were thinking of doing the Wall and Whytes combo on Sunday. 10.30 'ish start from Glyncorrwg if anyone would like to join us.

Anyone who might be slower than me on the climbs would be especially welcome.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
dro
surf god
surf god

drat

Post by dro »

How unlucky, I would have loved to climb slower than you Nigel but unfortunately Lady T and I are retreating to the foothills/seaside of Greece for our end of Summer vaccation.
The staff have already left by waterproof caravan with our luggage and cooking utensils and we mean to break camp and follow on Saturday.

I will remember to pause for a moments reflection on your sweaty endeavours as I supp my first G and T (known in timidland as a lager !!) of the holiday!!

Suffer baby suffer

Lord T

P.S.

I also note that Lucy P is so excited about the fact that we are going to the same holiday destination that she has been struck speechless.
In fact probably a very sensible coping strategy.
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Probably denial rather than speechless. Good luck Lucy; if I he starts getting out of hand threaten to hide his lager.
If found, please return to the pub.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hope your training session is a success. Are you taking any floaty toys?

If your timing is right, swine flu might have gone before you return
dro
surf god
surf god

What?

Post by dro »

swine flu ?

Here it is known as a bit of a virus !!!

Advice :
paracetamol ,lager,bed and DO NOT DISTURB YOUR GP

( :D :D :D he is on holiday :D :D :D)

P.S. Nigel
Will probably take a small rubber duck, a floating lager chair and as to the rest, Lady T and I choose to draw a discrete veil over them ! (I just hope we get them through customs)
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Unfortunately I could not find anyone to join me at the back, so Sunday’s ride was a tale of the hare and the tortoise. Unfortunately the hare was very competitive and had not read the script, so the tortoise came in second. However, the tortoise did make it around both Whites and the Wall, even though he was cream crackered by the end.

The tortoise also made a tactical error by offering the hare his secret energy drink, laced with caffeine. After this, the hare was not only bounding up the hills but also circling the tortoise at the stops, like an Indian circling a stricken wagon train. Maybe if we start before breakfast next time it might help.

The north shore section on Whites has been sanitised since my last visit. The dragon’s back (teeth?/double diamonds?) have been removed and it looks as though some more corners have been filed in. There is also a gravel path if someone wants to avoid the section altogether (but that has been there for a while).

Geoff enjoyed the Wall, although he was more uncertain about Whites with its various drop offs (berms and jumps). Some of the roll offs were a bit higher than I remembered and had warned Geoff about. Geoff’s speeds on the downhill has gone up significantly now he has the Roscow, although I can still keep up.

There was just one incident to mention. Geoff, inspired by Steve’s coaching on Saturday, was trying to jump a small drop off, but as he compressed the front fork he also hit the front brake by mistake, creating a wonderful endo. After that he seemed a little more cautious.

We stopped to top up Geoff’s water at the ‘lodge’, halfway down the Wall (at the end of the Graveyard section). I assume this is new hands as they offer food, refreshments, camping, bike security and bunk beds with breakfast for £25 a night (shared rooms). This sounds very reasonable. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the centre

BTW, two bikes have been stolen from Glyncorrwg recently and at least one was locked.

Wonderful weather and W2 is a great ride. I only wish I was fitter. :oops: