Sat & Sun 19/20 Sept

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Sat & Sun 19/20 Sept

Post by NigelP »

Is anyone riding but not racing this weekend? Not sure what the weather forecast is tho'.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Not 100% sure what we are doing this weekend - we are local. Unfortunately I have a lot of work to do but may be able to sneak out for a bit, alternatively I may have to just send my financial controller...
If found, please return to the pub.
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Hi Nigel,

Rob is doing the Lavington Blast on Sunday - see other posting for link.

Thanks for the apples the other week - they made an excellent pie :D

V
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Hi Vicky

Glad the apples were of use. We have plenty more where these came from.

I remember completing the Spam Challenge with you and Paul a couple of years ago. Having seen Rob compete in the Cheddar Challenge, I am thinking about a shorter, more liesurely ride. :oops:
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Well, it looks like I might actually be able to get out on my bike - for the first time in over a year :shock: . Given my state of fitness, "shorter and more leisurely" sounds about right. Somewhere local(ish) would be good too; given the recent dry weather, no need to travel to the Welsh trails. Need to dust off the bike and check it over.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

If there is an option, I would prefer to ride on Sunday. The Avonmouth bridge is a nightmare on Saturday mornings, now there are roadworks.

Rowberrow?

Welcome back Al. Good to hear there is still life after kids :shock:
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

Or as an alternative, how about Goblin Combe or Brockley Combe? This would have the advantage that they're closer for both Nigel and Al, plus we rode round the Mendips this morning :D

We would be up for a ride on Sunday morning, say 10:00.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

I was going to suggest a ride on my patch as you say, although it's not very technical. Could start at the little car park at bottom off Goblin Combe (just off the A370 near Lord Nelson Pub in Cleeve). I've got a route that minimises the road sections.
Aim to meet at 10.00am for a start at about 10.15am ish?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Sounds good to me. I have found Cleeve on the map and hope to find the car park on the day! Will aim to be there for 10 am.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Nigel, the car park is the one identified on the ordnance survey map, and also the PH.
See you there!
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

Al Donald wrote:Could start at the little car park at bottom off Goblin Combe (just off the A370 near Lord Nelson Pub in Cleeve).
The car park is here
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Axel, Neroli, Ian, Al and I pottered our way around Goblin's Combe and other locations. See attached map in Fugawi and GPX formats. These were all new trails for me.

There were three incidents of note:
Firstly, thanks to Al for going home to collect a skewer for the front wheel , after I discovered I had lost mine
Secondly, Neroli managed a dab in the only wet puddle for miles around (much to Ian's amusement)
Thirdly, I came as close as possible to the vertical endo when I mistimed a manual over a small log. After my nerves had settled I was a little more cautious :oops:

While I puffed and panted my way around, Al remained remarkably composed even though he had not been out on a mountain bike for over 12 months. Fatherhood must suit him.

Goodness knows how Axel was able to keep up (He must be on the same diet as Ian)

Great weather and good company. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Thanks Nigel. For the Fugawi-phobic, attached is a map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If found, please return to the pub.