weekend 20/21st feb

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

kelvin
surf god
surf god

weekend 20/21st feb

Post by kelvin »

snow up this way -loadsa

cwmcarn fri/sat

and glyn cor sunday -

forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Adrian and I join Rob, Vicky and others for a ride around Landsdown.

Although I was aware of the its reputation, this was the first time I have ridden there when it has not been bone dry. The going was soggy to heavy in places and a number of walkers commented on how muddy we all looked. There was still some pretty looking snow on the top of Lansdown, otherwise the temperature was reasonably mild. However, compared to the 'sunny' side it was a bit pathetic. :lol:

On the muddy scale, the ride was not half as bad as the Salisbury Plain Spam event, which I did a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised that my bike did not have any mechanicals (which have been plaguing me), although Adrian did suffer from chain suck on the final decent. (This was in spite of using some very unsavory looking and gloopy substance on his chain and cassette.) I did notice that the new Orange was kept in the garage for the day.

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the descent on sketchy sections was a real challenge (for me) :D :D :D . Providing you kept your mouth shut, followed the water course and wore glasses, then everything was OK. Generally, Landsdown mud seems to have a gritty texture on the palate, although I can't remember what flavour Salisbury Plain was. I think the only full body dab of the day was Anna, who, at the time, was laughing at my bike slide.

The final surprise was that the stream was far deeper than anyone expected :shock: (but it did help clear away some of the mud). For some reason, no one told the riders who were behind to use the bridge.

A grand day out, Gromit :D
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Nigel,

What were the stats for the day?

The tast of the mud was bearable - it was the amount in the eyes that was the issue - mine were very red and I still had a lot of mud in them when I got home - glasses recommended

Adrian
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Adrian

15.6 miles and 2,876 ft ascended. (By way of comparison, a round of Cwm Carn is 7.9 mi and 2,200 ft ascended)

It felt longer, which may be due to my age or the mud

A GPX file is attached which can be openend in Google earth and a Fugawi File
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar