Jumps n Bumps in Cannock

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Jumps n Bumps in Cannock

Post by Ian Long »

I heard a rumour recently that 2 Nomads went on a sneaky jumps 'n bumps course at Cannock Chase. Strange I haven't managed to find any details of it on here either before or after the event. :???:
If found, please return to the pub.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I have not seen or heard from these Nomads for ages so perhaps they are still jumping or rescuers are trying to coax them down from their landing perches :lol:

Adrian
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Cycleactive courses - Cannock Chase

Post by MartinF »

Well we can't go spilling the beans all over the place, I'll have you know!

Actually, it was two separate, 1-day courses: Singletrack skills (day 1), Drops & Jumps (day 2). I was sold on the day 1 course on the basis of it focusing on switchbacks and berms. It didn't. Thanks, Nigel! That said, it was still very worthwhile, and a good revision of some of the stuff we covered up in the Lakes, back in 2005. It certainly showed I still couldn't pull a good, well-controlled manual at will.

Day 2 pushed me beyond my comfort zone - and was all the better for it. Those manuals are essential for good control on the drops. We spent the morning doing very steep, rooty descents at very slow speed - even stopping on them, then continuing. Then in the afternoon, we headed over to the red downhill course to practice drops & jumps. Never quite got the hang of jumps, but it's something to practice. As is the "pre-jumping" of obstacles.

Good course - thoroughly recommended. And it was good to practise some of those skills again in Cornwall whilst we were there a couple of weeks ago: There's the area of the old arsenic mines around Scorrier - just off the Portreath - Devoran tramway - that's a mecca for freeriding. The whole area is definitely lunar in appearance (and is locally called "Mars"). Unfortunately, I didn't have my leg & elbow armour with me, so I had to be slightly restrained :(.

If anyone's thinking of heading that way I'll be happy to provide details of exactly where.

Now, can anyone explain how I've got 2 teeth missing from my middle chain ring?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
dro
surf god
surf god

not sure of anatomy

Post by dro »

Information please Martin

I have heard of wisdom teeth ,hard pallette and even your uvula but where the hell is your middle chain ring?
Does it show when you smile?

Incidentally Martin have you heard of Lady T's threat to "the reject".

I am now persuing a policy of economic crisis in the timid household so the reject might have a further lease of life !!!

We shall see

Happy xmas

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Bizarrely enough, the middle ring sits exactly between the inner ring, and the outer ring. That is, if you're lucky enough to have 3. Some only have 2. And the real purists manage with just the one.

How is the ultimatum worded? Is it worth asking ACAS to mediate?
dro
surf god
surf god

ultimatum

Post by dro »

I find I depend mainly on pleading and grovelling
seems to have worked for last 30 yrs

LT
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

You mean the fair apportionment of lager doesn't enter into it??
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

It just hides the pain