Bike ride - Bredon (Cotswolds) Sun 24th Jul

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Bike ride - Bredon (Cotswolds) Sun 24th Jul

Post by MartinF »

...as it says on the tin, really: Nigel & I are planning to be there for about 11:00 (see attached for the "there"!), starting at Kemerton.

Others are most welcome to join us. Give me a call on o78 one three 6 oh 4 two four 8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Well - it was a nice, warm, sunny ride in fabulous countryside, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to rush out especially - it's really pretty boring, with much of the trail on grass.

Basically, you go up and down the same ridge twice - once from each side. Both climbs are steep - the one from Ashton under Hill especially so - but doable. Just one marginally interesting piece of singletrack lasting all of 10 seconds or so. Ho Hum.

The best bit (wouldn't you know it!) was the Queen Elizabeth pub in Elmley Castle. Not entirely on our route, but well worth a special - if impromptu - detour for an excellent pint of Timothy Taylor's landlord. Interesting example of people power: The pubco who owned this pub (Admiral) closed it down in 2006, but the villagers revolted and managed to refurb it and reopen it in 2009. Good for them!

WSM would have been a much better bet, though damp & salty for the bike.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Ah yes, the Queen Elizabeth. We stopped off there on one of our Tuesday night road rides, the midsummer ride around Bredon Hill (56 miles). There have been several calls for a revisit, partly for the beer but mainly for the barmaids... :D
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Matt wrote:There have been several calls for a revisit, partly for the beer but mainly for the barmaids... :D
You took the words out of my mind ;)