Easter Ride

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Easter Ride

Post by Adrian »

Any one riding over Easter?

I am thinking of going up to Cannock Chase for the weekend to the Forestry commission camp site as the Mountain bike trail goes through the site. Lots of riding both easy and I think 18 miles of singletrack.
visit http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/ for details

Adrian
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

Looks very interesting, if a little distant. However, we have managed to keep all of Easter free :D so will be looking to fit in some riding; not looking too promising on the windsurfing front, wind forecast for Monday but so is a drop in temperature %-(

Which days did you have in mind?
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Neroli,

I was thinking about spending the whole break up there and doing stuff with Jackie a couple of days and ride a couple. Last time I spend a week there and spend the day ws with jackie and rode every evening from about 4.00 till 7.00
gerrys
chop hopper
chop hopper

Something this Easter

Post by gerrys »

Chris and I would like to something this easter - looking at the weather forcast Windsurfing will problably not be on. Cannock Chase I think is too far away for a day (Pos), but if others want to do it for the day...... :D .

If anyone has other ideas please let us know, we want to get some exercise this weekend...... :D
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

We're in the Peak District this w/e but were thinking about coming home on Monday via Cannock Chase to check out the new follow the dog trail.

Adrian - do you think you might be there on Monday?
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I am planning to be there at present subject to wife approval - my mobile is 077833 2685241 I guess the time is always the issue - I need to get home Monday night and then back to Birmingham Airport late evening.

So for a monday ride I will probably be a morning start from the forestry Comission camp site. If we miss each other do not restrict yourself to Follow the Dog - start from the cycle centre and incorpoarte it in one of the longer rides it gives a good mix of riding.
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

I would love to get out on the bike or board every day over the period, so let us know if someone wants company on a ride. :D :D :D

Gerry, had you thought about where or when?
If found, please return to the pub.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Just got the bike back today :D , after its initial check-over/service and now cured of the tendancy for its front wheel to resemble a banana!
So definitely up for one or more rides over the break. Tomorrow looks the pick of the weather, then getting cooler and cloudier but probably still dry.
Would prefer somewhere reasonably local (not Ashton Court!). My back is still not fully recovered so a relatively gentle ride preferred!
Options: Rowberrow, Brockley/Bourton Combes, one of the on/off road rides we did last summer? or somewhere else...
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I am very keen to ride this weekend. I am borrowing a full sus. bike from the shop on Saturday (which rules out that day) and am keen to put it though its paces on Sunday and/or Monday. Looking for an off road location with a bit of technical ground to test it out.

Cannock Chase would be too far.

Nigel
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

How about kicking off tomorrow (Friday) with a ride around Black Down, starting at the beacons, with a hint of Rowberrow thrown in as required?

I suggest we meet around 10:45 with a view of setting off at 11:00.

To get to the beacons you want to be here.

Depending on the ground state and how fit people are feeling, this gives us a lot of options for possible routes :D.

If you are not sure how to get there, aim to arrive at our house for 10:30 and we'll set off from there.

Hoepfully see you tomorrow.
Cheers,
Ian.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Afan on Sun?

Post by MartinF »

Have a good one tomorrow - I don't think I'll be joining you.

Anyone up for Afan on Sunday?? Nigel & I were thinking of The Wall in the morning & Penhydd, in the afternoon - as a test of his loaner bike.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

OK sounds great! Bear in mind I'll be taking it a bit steady to see how my back holds up, oh and I really don't want another shunt!
See you at the beacons.
I'll make a decision on Afan after tomorrow!
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

Cheers Adrian - have made a note of your number in case we are at Cannock on Monday when you are - have a good w/e!
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Hi all

I will be there this morning - Beacons at 10:45 :D . Not too certain about my forks right now, but need to get out. Hopefully I can get to Mud Dock later today (if they're open :roll: ) or tomorrow.

Would also like to do something Sunday/Monday, Cannock Chase seems a bit far for a day but Afan is a definite maybe, depending on my forks :wink: .
Viv
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Excellent first ride of the break with Nigel, Carl, Al, Viv, Gerry, Neroli and I in glorious weather :D :D.

Started off on Black Down then went into Rowberrow woods for a bit before returning for a slog up one of the Black runs offs Black Down. In hindsight, trying to go up it was a mistake as it was a hard push in places without much cycling in between.

Alas Neroli went over the bars and face planted the fire track while riding slowly along the flat. A few grazes to her face, shoulder and a very sore wrist may reduce the amount of cycling we do during the rest of the break.

Else where on the ride Carl managed to run clear of his bike when it went wrong going down some rocks and I managed to run away from mine when it stopped abruptly from speed on a muddy section.

Ride was a bit disjointed in places as there is more mud there than of late - apparently there was a very heavy thunderstorm on Black Down on Wednesday night, but a good ride all the same and nice to get rid of all that excess energy at the start of the holiday. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.