Lakes and Whales

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you prefer N Wales or the Lakes?

Dolegellau
50%
Ambleside
50%
Either
No votes

Total votes: 4

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Lakes and Whales

Post by NigelP »

I appreciate that this may not be as glamorous as Spain, however the two highlights of last year were the visit to the Lakes and Steve's birthday.

As it seems a little unlikely Steve will be 50 again soon, I thought we could plan a return visit to one of these locations.

I have looked at some dates and the following are suggested: April 21 -28, April 28 – 5, May 5 -12 (Bank holiday), May 12 -19 & May 19 - 26
September 22 – 29, Sept 29 – 5, Oct 5 – 12

The second bank holiday in May is at peak rates, which makes it significantly more expensive.

I had a quick look at accommodation costs and for a group of 10, it looks like we should expect to pay a about £60 - £70pp pw for a bed in a cottage. (Less if we spill over onto the floors). I suggest we run a kitty to cover food and drink costs.

I like the idea of N Wales, because the tracks are outstanding.

The Lakes are equally attractive, because I need to polish up my biking skills. If we go to Ambleside I suggest we hire a guide for a couple/few days. It understand a guide can look after about 6 to 8 riders, so there may be a a more advanced and and a basic group.

I look forward to seeing if there is any interest and no doubt the topic will be discussed in Spain. It will be superb if there is a group of Nomads who are interested.

I have attached a Martin swingometer, to see if Wales or the Lakes has more appeal
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

I would certainly be interested, although I'm on a slightly limited budget, especially if we are going on a windsurfing trip as well. Perhaps a slight preference for the Lakes (just for the scenery), but I'm not sure we really need a guide - could be expensive. As regards dates, I would prefer to avoid a clash with the Bigbury trip on 12/13 May (I'm determined to get there this year!). The other thing, is that I expect most of the Spain contingent will not want another weeks biking so soon afterwards. This tends to suggest later in the year, probably September or early October.
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

I could be interested in either. I had thought of doing another long w/e with CycleActive in the lakes.

I'm feeling rather jealous of those going to spain, particularly as it's so miserable at the moment.

However, I'm doing an all day performance snowboard course at the snowdome in Milton Keynes on the 12th followed by a week in Val d'Isere so I guess there are some compensations!

I'll speak to Sam - she might fancya trip away.

Cheers,
Carl
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Would love to vote, but I can't find the Spain option :-)OO
If found, please return to the pub.
Paul McCormack
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Paul McCormack »

Maybe Whales but don't really mind I'll think some more on return from the sunshine :D :D :D 8)
Onwards and upwards
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I'm all for Dolgellau / CYB. Call me boring, but it's a bit closer to home!

As a suggestion, Nigel: You could also set up a poll for dates?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I suggest we leave time for the Spanish brigade to report back.

The accommodation is getting booked up quite quickly and once we have agreed on a destination I will check availability.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

See new posting, Dolgellau Ho!