External bottom brackets

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

External bottom brackets

Post by MartinF »

So what external BB's have you used, and what do you think of them?

I ask this, as I've got through 2 of them in just over year: A Raceface XC/XM which lasted about 9 months, and an expensive self-aligning BB from Velotech, which lasted about 5 months - The Exmoor Explorer finished it off; it's completely seized solid.

Has anyone found an external BB that lasts reasonably well?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
dro
surf god
surf god

eureka

Post by dro »

Can I suggest you get the same one as on the bike you sold me.
Seems great so far

LT

P.S.
What is an external BB ?
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
RaV
surf god
surf god

BBs

Post by RaV »

Martin,

The new hope ones are reputed to be very good - ceramic or steel versions, only a couple g weight difference but ceramic is harder.

The ones I use are the BETD replacements for the Shimanos - £20 per set and mine have lasted about 18 months and are still going (mind you, I ride a different bike every week!)

Above all, before you install the new bearings - GET THE BB SHELL FACED - it makes all the difference for extending the life of the bearings.

Cheers,
Rob.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: eureka

Post by MartinF »

dro wrote:P.S.
What is an external BB ?
It's all in the title of the thread ;)
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: BBs

Post by MartinF »

RaV wrote:Martin,

The new hope ones are reputed to be very good - ceramic or steel versions, only a couple g weight difference but ceramic is harder.

The ones I use are the BETD replacements for the Shimanos - £20 per set and mine have lasted about 18 months and are still going (mind you, I ride a different bike every week!)

Above all, before you install the new bearings - GET THE BB SHELL FACED - it makes all the difference for extending the life of the bearings.

Cheers,
Rob.
Hope - yes. Everyone's trying to push them right now. Buy British and all that. But they are £85 and £100 for the stainless steel / ceramic respectively. I guess if they last 3 times longer, then they're worth it.

In fact, things have moved on this morning - Velotech have offered to replace my self-aligning BB FOC.

I also "stumbled" across a guy in E Sussex who's kindly offered me a pair of old RaceFace cups with brand new, bees knees SKF bearings pressed in, for £30. He bought a job lot of these bearings - normally £21 each - to refurb BB's for himself & a few mates.

I also called Scott UK to ask about facing the BB shell - they said it isn't really necessary as it's done in the factory, but that there's no harm to any carbon fibre/epoxy layup as the alloy shell ends are exposed beyond the carbon.

So I took the bike over to Terry's cycles in Yate this pm, and they faced it for £2. He said the faces & the threads were pretty much spot-on anyhow, but that the E-type front mech (which fits onto the BB shell) *could* affect alignment. It's food for thought, I guess; Unfortunately, I can't fit a standard band fitting front mech on my seat tube.

Anyone else have any longevity stories?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Just replaced my Shimano BB. They lasted 4 years and are the only bearings (& drivetrain), other than the headset, that I have not replaced.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
dro
surf god
surf god

hm

Post by dro »

Thank you Martin for the information

BUT

What is an external bottom bracket and can you buy them in ann summers shops ?
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

If Anne Summers stock them, I'd have an even better excuse for visiting ;)

Take a look here.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Update:

Well, the replacements didn't last long before I had to strip them down and regrease them - which I've now done a couple of times.

I've just bought a cheapish blue BB off eBay that I just fitted - let's see how that fares. They also do ceramic BBs (allegedly), though when I order the ceramic one, I was told they didn't have them in blue.

I've also bought a couple of replacement SKF bearings - SKF 6805 2RS 61805 2RS (RUBBER SEAL) BEARING 25x37x7mm - again, off eBay, which can be pressed into your BB cups. These are allegedly really good, well-sealed, long lasting bearings. Fortunately, the ROTOR self-aligning BB cups have a floating bearing holder, from which you can push out and re-insert bearings with your fingers: No expensive press required!