Brake pad wear

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Powels send apologies as Ashley leavnig us tomorrow morning and I need a new set of brake pads (how long are these things meant to last?)

We are around for a ride same time friday when I hope to do Hanham woods, but may be persuaded elswhere.

Have a great ride.

V&S

PS sorry Brian.

PPS (or is that PSS?). general note - if anyone else did not receive the xmas newsletter please let me know. Ta.
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Longer than you have had your bikes. You must be using the brakes too much :D :D

Neroli and I had to change our first set of brake pads while we were riding round the Lake District in August. We are now coming to the end of those pads, so I reckon probably about 30 hours plus riding per set of pads. Just as well because at £15+ per set of pads, you don't get much pad for your money. Viv's certainly shouldn't have gone yet because they are the same as mine.

P.S. It doesn't sound as though it is, but if lack of pads for Viv's bike is what is stopping you, I carry a spare pair of pads in my camel back.

P.P.S Neroli and I did a brief reccie around East Harptree woods today. It was fun but very muddy and a lot of dead ends, so not really suitable for a ride. I don't think we will be riding in there again.
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

steve powell wrote:I need a new set of brake pads (how long are these things meant to last?)
Hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs here, and I realise you may actually have taken the pads out & inspected them, but just in case you haven't... have you checked the pad adjustment on the brake calipers :?:
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

MartinF wrote:
steve powell wrote:I need a new set of brake pads (how long are these things meant to last?)
Hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs here, and I realise you may actually have taken the pads out & inspected them, but just in case you haven't... have you checked the pad adjustment on the brake calipers :?:
Both front and back brakes are badly worn on one side only.(metal to metal on the front - disc seems ok though) If there is any adjustment i havent seen it. If i could equal up the wear they might last abit longer??

Steve
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

I am assuming that because you have posh brakes, you have pistons on each side of the caliper, in which case, the comment about Neroli's wont apply.

Neroli's is a single sided piston, on the opposite side of the caliper is a "stationary" pad which is positioned with an allen key bolt. As the pad wears, you have to screw out the stationary piston so that disk doesn't have to bend too much as the brakes are applied.

On your bike, I would have thought that the only adjustment you will have are the caliper mounting bolts which are usually in oval slots to allow you to adjust the caliper position so that both pistons engage the disk at the same time. I found I had to tweak the caliper position when I fitted new pads (and have to on Neroli's midway through pads) but I haven't had to make any adjustment so far during the normal wear of the pads.

Normally to set the caliper bolts, you slacken them off, squeeze the brakes to center the caliper, then tighten them up (hand tweaking if necessary). Again, I am probably in danger of providing a lesson in the art of sucking eggs - sorry.
If found, please return to the pub.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Just out of interest, is the wear on the pads even, or are they worn more in one corner? If worn in one corner, it suggests your pads are not sqare to the rotor. Ie: the slot in the caliper that the rotor fits into is not parallel with the rotor.

What Ian mentions about tightening the pads onto the rotor to center the caliper is correct, but there's a bit of a catch22: with unevenly worn pads, it;s difficult to align the caliper accurately. Conversely, if the caliper is misaligned, the pads wear unevenly! With single pistons (like mine), it's practically impossible to correct caliper alignment with uneven pads.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Another thought - there are 2 types of pad material available - composite & sintered. Composite are generally better for downhill as they are softer & give better breaking. Sintered pads are harder, so last longer.

I would suspect that your bikes would have been fitted new with the less expensive composite pads. Perhaps you should go for sintered ones?
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Just cleaned my bike this afternoon and checked pad wear. I've had these brakes for around 6 months and they're only now starting to show signs of wearing out (However, they weren't that thick in the first place).

Having said that - I think that different manufacturers pads probably wear differently. I've got Avid mechanical disk and, whilst you do need to readjust occasionaly - that just means turing a little red wheel a few clicks.

Do you think that the manufacturers might fit thinner OEM pads to save a few pennies?
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Sorted!
Mud dock have XT/XTR pads for £14. Lovely wear.pics

Many thanks to everyone for their two-penny worth.

Steve