Things you find while cleaning (new wheel excuse)

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Things you find while cleaning (new wheel excuse)

Post by spinout »

Cleaning the bike yesterday afternoon and decided to give the rear cassette a scrub. Discovered that the spokes just behind the cassette were nearly worn through (worn by the chain slipping off the big cog on steep hills).

Never would have thought to check for this but I don't fancy risking my luck on these now.

Sooo... thinking about getting a new wheel(s) and have have a go at repairing the current ones.

So far Mavix XC717 Disc on Shimano XT from Merlin at £107 look favourite. Can anybody recomend an alternative?
RaV
surf god
surf god

Post by RaV »

I have recently upgraded my wheels to those XC717s with XT hubs and so far I am very happy with them. :) Got mine from Chain Reaction for about £114, but I think Merlin charge about £6 for delivery so that makes it about the same.

Vicky
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Prob a bit late now; but I have XC717's, albeit with Deore hubs. They seem to work perfectly well for me & have taken all I've thrown at them. And excellent VFM.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.