Self extracting crank bolts

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Self extracting crank bolts

Post by DanO »

Whilst replacing a bottom bracket, I rounded off the inside of a seized crank hex bolt, and had to drill it out. :oops:
Now need a new crank bolt, and was considering buying self extracting crank bolts.
I'm sticking with the square taper cranks, and bottom bracket at the moment, and already have a self extracting crank tool.

Has anyone had an experience with self extracting crank bolts, are they any good, or am I better off sticking with standard crank bolts and using my extracting tool? :???:

To me it seems like a lot of force to go through a hex bolt to remove bolt and crank arm at the same time. :roll:
dro
surf god
surf god

?

Post by dro »

:?: :?: :?: scuse no understand language :?: :?: :?:
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Don't worry about dro - him only unnerstan dat pidgin englis fo'now, comin as e' don bak from de cari bein.

OTOH, I must confess to not knowing what a self-extracting crank bolt is. In the dark days of square taper BB axles, I found my (Park Tool) extractor seemed to work satisfactorily.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

My bike has a self-extracting crank. It's Race Face external bearing type, and the only tool you need is an allen key - or two to be precise, 8mm and 10mm. Seems to work OK and very easy to remove. Good thing too, given the rate at which the bearings seem to fail. Second failure in two years. :shock:
DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Post by DanO »

Still umming and ahhing.
Might give em a go, and put plenty of grease on them.
But still concerned if the bolts sieze again, this time I wont be able to drill out and use crank puller, and its goodbye cranks.

As for bottom brackets, unbelievable I'm still on the 1st one (Shimano UN52/3) five years on, through the mud, several wheels, cassettes, and umpteen chains later. Bet the next one will last a month!