Any Wakeboarders

The place to chill out & chat about anything on or even off topic. BTW, mine's a pint of Cotswold Spring's Old Sodbury Mild, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Any Wakeboarders

Post by Liddlerich » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35

Do any of the Nomads like wakeboarding? Or would you like to get in to it?

There is a cable wakeboarding centre at Cirencester (Cotswolds Waterpark) that also has boats in the water during the summer months. Wakeboarding, I find, is the perfect no wind alternative to windsurfing. I go up there fairly regulary and wondered if anyone fancied joining me.

On marginal days, you could take your windsurfers and if it doesn't happen, hit the cable for watery fun. Similarly, if the wind does pick up, you can go for a sail.

Anyway, if there is any interest, I'll give you a shout next time I am heading over there.
Vulcan't

Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:59

Sounds like it could be fun. How does cable wakeboarding differ from normal. How is the wake created?

DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Post by DanO » Fri Nov 09, 2007 16:29

Would be up for a bit of wakeboarding some time.

One of my surfing friends is a keen wakeboarder, and I went along and had a go once on the River Camel before we went surfing.
Great fun, was very chuffed I got up first time, and rode side to side across the wake, but was knackered after about 20 mins riding.

I think the boat was weighed down at the back to create more wake, which adds to the fun as a potential launch ramp.

Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Liddlerich » Fri Nov 09, 2007 17:07

On the cable you edge in hard and release the edge to create a catapult effect with the cable to get air. Not mastered that yet.

However they have ramps and sliders in the water that you can go over. It's lots of fun. It is also better value than a boat tow, because you pay by the hour and get a lot more time on the water.

Wouldn't say it was better than behind a boat - just different.

I'll post a message next time I am going.
Vulcan't

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian » Tue Nov 13, 2007 13:20

I might be up for a go. How much is it? Interested to see how it works getting the cable and what happens when you fall, do you have to swim back to a start point?

Adrian

Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Liddlerich » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:21

It'usually about £10 an hour. If it's your first time you have to do the intro course which costs £40. That includes a lesson, a few times around on a kneeboard until you get used to the cable pull, all the kit and 2 hours of cable time, so it's pretty good value I think.

If you fall you have to swim to the edge and walk back. That's why everyone does their tricks next to the launch platform (and obviously to show off).

Lots of fun - I highly recommend it if there is no wind.
Vulcan't