Advice for someone who is interested to start windsurfing...

The place to chill out & chat about anything on or even off topic. BTW, mine's a pint of something citrusy & hoppy, please.

Moderator: Moderators

oli18

Advice for someone who is interested to start windsurfing...

Post by oli18 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I tried windsurfing a few years back in Bali, Indonesia and completely loved it. I am thinking of trying it again when i move back to Bristol in June and was hoping you could possibly give me a few insights into how best to start.

Things I'm looking to find out are:

Where can I do it?
How much are club costs, if any?
How much is it to hire equipment?
What are the costs for instruction?

Also, if eventually you buy your own gear, what sort of cost range are you looking at for basic 2nd hand equipment?

Cheers,

-Oli
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

http://www.ukwatersports.co.uk/courses.html

This link will get you to a centre in the Cotswold water park where I'm a member at £100 pa. They run beginner courses. Others may know something closer to Bristol.

I can not find kit hire on the site this year as they've revamped the site, and its damn site harder to find things. A couple of years back it was about £12 an hour but I know last year all prices were hiked. If you have your own kit then a day ticket is about £15, or £10 for half a day. The £100 membership soon pays for itself.

Personally I found it easier to learn the basic on a couple of holidays in the med. If your serious about taking up the sport in the UK then getting your own kit becomes very cost effective initially then very costly as you get better.

If you look on eBay or elsewhere in second hand adds you'll see older servicable complete kit going for £50 upwards, it really depends what you are looking for. As someone who knew a little to get by with, about it 2 years a go, I spent £650 on a reasonably new cheap SH board BIC Techno, new rig package, SH harness and SH second sail from Bristol Windsurfer World. Then you have to add a wetsuit and boots.
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

re starting

Post by dro »

as some one who started fairly recently (app 2 years) and is still starting I agree wholehartedly with Graham

med type holiday very good way to pick up tips warm ,lots of equipment,advice and most of all company.
Bristol nomads very good for advice and support.If you go with them do not look out to sea, very demoralising !! but to be honest also quite inspiring.

Definitely buy some second hand kit so you can go whenever you want and wherever you want.
If you are new to sport get a complete set rather than piecemeal cos I found that I was never sure which bit fitted where and if one size of kit fitted with another.
Definitely find some company to wind surf with otherwise always easier not to go ,also safer.
Definitely get a GOOD wet suit and boots cos around here getting cold can be very demoralising (p.s. if like me you are losing your hair get head covering very very important)

If joining the nomads windsurfing club plesae realise bike ownership is mandatory (wind surfer ownership optional)!!!

Huw
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
NeilB
novice
novice

Post by NeilB »

Did anyone mention that you could join the Nomads for a very small sum of £12. There are a few trips to lakes, plus of course portland and poole trips which are generally good for learners.

However, I agree that a short course is a good way to start. I started with a 2 session course at the waterland (cotswold water park). It did the trick. One day you'll wonder how you ever tolerated the equipment they have and the flukey lake wind, but you don't notice when your learning.

Courses at the water park are, I think, only arranged ocassionally as demanded, so you'll need to enquire.

Croft farm near Tewkesbury is another option.

Although I support the general view about sailing on your own, I would make an exception for Poole (Whitley lake area). There are always other windsurfers, the water is shallow and a SW wind just blows you inshore. I go there on days when every else is too scary. However, summer traffic is terrible.

Neil