Hot places to learn to windsurf

Anything about particular resort, hotels, equipment, sailing conditions, & other experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

LucyP
complete beginner

Post by LucyP »

A friend and I are looking for a windsurfing course somewhere warm in September this year. Can anyone recommend some locations and organisations? I used to sail (dinghies) regularly and did a week’s windsurfing 15 years ago and my friend has never windsurfed, so we’re looking for somewhere suitable for beginners where you can hire equipment, but with the possibility of progressing quickly.

Hope you can help! :)

Thanks,
LucyP
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Hey Lucy,

My housemate and I are heading to Vassiliki with Neilson in September.
It'll be my 5th windsurfing holiday with Neilson cos they are amazing!

13th September we got flights, b&b, a week's use of windsurf kit also kayaks bikes picos dart, 4 days windsurf tuition, guided mountain bike rides, cheery happy staff who are amazing teachers all for the princely sum of £344 each which is amazing.

Totally recommend Vass, the wind is calm early on which is ideal for beginners, late afternoon evening it tends to absolutely take off :D Windsurf-focused resort, loads of lovely restaurants, lively bars till all hours. I've been to other Neilson resorts which were great but Vass rocks.

You are more than welcome to join us!
http://www.neilson.co.uk/Beach-Greece-V ... lance.aspx

PS No I'm not in the pay of Neilson! :lol:
Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Liddlerich »

I'd second above - Vass is a cool place.

I like Dahab in Egypt too. It's nice in September and there should be some decent deals as it's out of the summer hols. It's great for diving too and you can even go to the Pyramids if you are after some cultcha! We are going there in a couple of weeks. My girlfriend came with me for the first time 2 years ago and she loved it as a beginner.

Neilson have a centre there too. If you wanted to shop around try Club Dahab or Planet Windsurf for alternatives Dahab holidays (they also run trips to other places). Neilson have boats though, if you want a change from windsurfing.

Lake Garda is also just a beautiful place to be. Not sure how reliable the wind is these days though.
Vulcan't
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

As much as I enjoyed my trip to Vass a few years back, I would not recommend it as a good place for relative beginnings. Although the recent reports that Eric is seen very infrequently at Vass may mean its OK.When it blows there the wind can be a bit manic, and sailing get very busy.

I think its the same problem with Dahab. I felt really sorry for some of the beginners there for our first week in June as they were blown all over the place, as we in the advance group were on Sub-5Meter sails.

I would however recommend Nielson as the ideal company to learn with, and they do have a number of lower wind venues. I did my Level 2 at Porta Helli in 2003, which was idea for that level, a safe/flat enclosed harbour, and a short walk to the town centre a bit like Vass. I was lucky in that it was windier than normal so we had plenty of planning as well.

Bitez would have been ideal as well but that one is closed. Ortakent just round the corner could be OK, but you in more open water there.
Graham
LucyP
complete beginner

Thanks for your suggestions

Post by LucyP »

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Neilson certainly sounds like a great company to go with and if I get really frustrated with the windsurfing I might be happy to get back in a boat! :wink:
We were wondering about Spain because of speaking the language. Any thoughts on Tarifa?

Thanks again,
LucyP
Liddlerich
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Liddlerich »

We went to Tarifa and loved it. I did a short trip report on it (posted in the Holiday Hints form).

It can get very windy there and when it does it gets pretty bumpy too. Having said that, Caroline (relative beginner) had 3 days windsurfing and she learnt to beach start there so you could be OK. She did say afterwards that she preferred the windsurfing in Dahab though, and thats why we are going there next week. Once she cracks harness and footstraps we will head back to Tarifa.

Tarifa is also a bit more spread out, ie if you stay in town you need to drive to the beach and visa versa, but it is only a 5 mins drive. In places like Vass and Dahab your accomodation is within walking distance of the beach so it's all on the doorstep.

Dahab is often pretty windy too, but if it does what it's supposed to, the wind dies in the afternoons and thats when the beginners get out. Vass wind seems to be all over the place - flip a coin! Tarifa offers more in terms of nightlife than Vass or Dahab (both of which still have decent enough).

Decisions, decisions!!!!!

Basically, I would say if windsurfing was the prime holiday focus with decent nightlife if you want it, head for Dahab or Vass.

If it's a party you are after with windsurfing as a added bonus - Tarifa it is!

It's safe to say though - you'll have a great time wherever you end up.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!
Vulcan't
LucyP
complete beginner

Booked at last!

Post by LucyP »

Many thanks again for all your helpful suggestions. In the end, prices had gone up a lot at Vassiliki and Neilson doesn't seem to go to Tarifa, so in the end we opted for Porto Heli, which looks great too. We're off at the end of September and can't wait!
LucyP
dro
surf god
surf god

coincidence

Post by dro »

you will be pleased to hear that Lady T and I are also going to Porto Heli in September .We are flying on Sept 13th for 2 weeks with our luggage and servants and hope to have a pleasant time pretending to windsurf.
I have been assured that it is suitable for timids and that the local lager is very drinkable (must admit that I have yet to find one that i can not drink !!)

I hope to meet while there,you can not miss me I will be surrounded by a large crowd of adoring fans or failing that I will be the sad lonely geriatric sitting in the bar dribbling down his bib.

Have a nice time

lord Timid
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
dro
surf god
surf god

tic toc

Post by dro »

the clock is ticking !!

:D :D Porto heli here we come :D :D
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Have a great time Huw, watch out for the tip's on Vulcan's, draw dros y don, Richard :oops:
dro
surf god
surf god

language lesson

Post by dro »

thanks Richard I am really really really looking forward to the trip
( :?: but not as much as Lucy :?: )

I am impressed with the welsh
the full version that I learnt as a child is

Draw dros y don.
Way over the waves

mae gwlad yr hud.