Which lake in France ?

Anything about particular resort, hotels, equipment, sailing conditions, & other experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard
surf god
surf god

Which lake in France ?

Post by Richard »

Hello all, since Neilson have anounced that they are pulling out of Dahab, we need to find a new venue. I know that a few Nomads used to visit a lake in France on a fairly regular basis, could somebody please send me the details of location, best camp site to use, etc, thanks in advance, Richard
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

This was new to me, especially since we've booked for Jun. But I found the following for those that had not heard:
Weak sales forces Neilson’s Dahab closure

2/27/2012 11:14:00 AM

Neilson Holidays has announced it is to pull its windsurf holidays in Dahab following its poor visitor figures into Egypt.

The tour operator said holidays in the Egyptian bay had been popular until the Arab Spring last year, when sales dropped despite action taking place far away from the area.

“Our resort team have done a great job instilling confidence in those who have visited over the last 12 months, but the fact remains that not enough people are choosing to travel to Dahab and we have very sadly taken the decision to close our centre,” Pip Tyler, overseas director at Neilson wrote on its blog.

Neilson will offer holidays to the centre until July and will continue to operate windsurfing holidays in Turkey and Greece.
Mind you I'm not sure a lake in France is a like for like replacement for Nielsen in Dahab. There are plenty of other operators in Dahab, and warmer Nielsen locations.
Graham
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

I heard they had to close Dahab as they needed more funds in Vassiliki, this is because they have taken Rachael on and she has already asked for a pay rise & plenty of cakes to be supplied with beer! - :lol: :lol:

Take a look at Koss for a location. Mark Warner operates in similar locations as Neilsons, but they pull out of Egypt for the same reasons.

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/special-offers/sun

ClubVass, Club Mistral & Harry Naish still doing Dahab and their is also a Russian centre there , which is next to ClubVass who could be cheap! 8)
Welcome to the Surf
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Thanks for the reply's, we found out about the pull out when trying to add two further places to a booking in October :(. Although related, the question regarding the lake was not as a complete alternative to Dahab, we have been in touch with a bunch of "regular" guests and there is talk of doing something non-Neilson based, possibly as a group. The Russian outfit may take over the old Neilson beach store, but not too sure it will be a cheaper approach. Don't have any experience of Mark Warner, Mark, would you recommend ? cheers, Richard
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Richard

My two pennies worth - I like Harry Nass (centre 2) and the Iberotel. The centre had really good (newish) JP and Neil Pryde kit - but the beauty is that you can sail directly out to Speedy, and plane all the way back to the centre without a single tack. So it makes changing kit, going back for drinks etc really easy. The hotel is good too.

I'd say it's more fun there if you have a ready made group with you, which sounds as though you have. They will run a taxi service to the centre at the far end of the lagoon so Alison has NO excuse not to sail :D . Also - I believe they are the only centre to supply radios, so no excuse for you not to try out Kamikaze :P :lol:

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Lol Mark it is my fault but only cos I haven't booked 4 weeks worth of holidays in Neilson Dahab and dragged everyone I can along like normal!

I'm gutted I won't get to go back there before it closes, I love that place. :( S'pose I'll try one of the other operators there at some point but it won't be the same!
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

We've done Mark Warners in Kos which was OK, but mainly due to the company which included Lord and Lady Timid and the infamous FunBoat race. The wind was very iffy. We also done others elsewhere. the good thing about Nielsen is everything is included on the Water and they generally have some focus on Windsurfing, with Dahab and Vas Windsurfing only. I much prefer them to the likes of Warners and Sunsail who are for ever try to sell private lessons and are far more dominated by the "yachty" crowd focused on dingy racing.
Graham
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Thanks again for the input on the Dahab front, but does anybody know about the lake in France that used to be a fairly regular stomping groundfor a few ? cheers, Richard
Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Post by Keith S »

Richard.
Think you might want to talk to Chris and Gerry. They have a mobile home somehwere near it. I think it's near Bordeaux.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Richard wrote:I know that a few Nomads used to visit a lake in France on a fairly regular basis, could somebody please send me the details of location, best camp site to use, etc, thanks in advance, Richard
Mike & Pierrette Simmonds are the ones to talk to. I know they've spent many a happy hour/day/week on lakes down the West coast of France. Their contact details will be on the back page of the newsletters.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
dro
surf god
surf god

oil rigs

Post by dro »

My son learnt to sail on lake parentis very near biscarosse below bordeaux
excellent sailing centre there run by company from POrtsmouth
something like Ritchlies (haven holiday camp)

Not sure what the wind is like , but it is where I started wind surfing
Main problem when flying along is avoiding the oil rigs (HONEST!)

But as Graham says not quite same conditions as Dahab
much less non alcohol induced diahrrohea and vomitying for one thing

The other option Richard is to act your age and retire to a warm comfy and Timid registered retirement home
aka PUB

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Thanks for the input Martin & Keith, will follow-up, not so sure about Huw's post though. What's this age thingy ? was hoping to keep sailing well into my retirement, which has got to be some twenty years away at least :) Richard
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Richard
If you do get any information about good venues in France could you
post it on the forum or let me know.
A trip to France would be fun.

Phil