Graham in teos last september

Anything about particular resort, hotels, equipment, sailing conditions, & other experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

dro
surf god
surf god

Graham in teos last september

Post by dro »

Graham (or anyone else who has been there)

noticed you had been there last Sept and wondered what it was like?

I am very tempted but Lady T woried about safety of sailing area and how difficult the wind can be.

Also any other tips and comments welcome

Lt

PS how are you both? and a happy new year
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Re: Graham in teos last september

Post by Graham_U »

Val did her general write up when we came back:
http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/phpBB/v ... eos#p10282

Teos site is on a fairly step hill so launching is a challenge/impossible as there is a small harbour/inlet surrounded by cliffs/rocks on 3 sides with 360 degree windshifts. This is also where the ski boat spends a lot of its time, and its the only place where the beginnings can practice so they can stand up when they fall off.

In theory windsurfers can get a lift out to the main sailing area, but that sometimes involves a wait. The sailing area is a fairly open large slice across an open inlet/bay with steep rocky shore which is out of site from the harbour. When the wind blows it comes straight down the inlet and can build up some decent waves going running down the bay, and some of the best windsurfing I've had at a Nielson site. But its not much fun in little or marginal planning condition as there there is cross chop to contend with, although in the open bay its reasonably consistent. On blowy days the only place to find both wind and flattish water is in few yards by the harbour mouth which was where I chose to practice my duck gibes.

I don't think I bother with dinghy sailing on that trip, but they were out most days. In any decent wind the lasers were a challenge. They also had 5 or 6 small keel boats that were large tubs and seemed ideal for the condition when the wind was up. Their daily racing was based around these and they seem to run a lot of sailing courses on them.

When we were there in 2011 I the beach crew were not the most disciplined, and some were not the most likable for a Neilson's place, which I felt compromised their safety. It was end of season and the kit was in poor condition, I heard the same from the sailors.

Having said all that there was certainly a rustic charm, and given a better beach crew I think it could be very good for me if windy. I'm not sure about beginnings and Lady T's safety concerns are valid if you venture beyond the harbour. Val had a great time off the water, although the site is a bit cramped by the water. There a nice bar about 10 minutes walk up the hill, but the local town is significantly further and the hill makes it a challenge walk or bike. But we still enjoyed ourselves and we'd probably go back.
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

cheers Graham exactly the description I was looking for

does not sound like Lady T's ideal sailing venue
or in fact Lord T's either (very into flat water these days)

Enjoy Ortakent this summer and remeber me to Simon (check whether he has started to really learn Turkish yet and that I will be testing him in September,)

All the best
huw

P.S.
if you really want a 80ish litre board you can have half of my techno
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

How did you get on in Ortakent?