Le Morne Mauritious

Anything about particular resort, hotels, equipment, sailing conditions, & other experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

captain ben
novice
novice

Le Morne Mauritious

Post by captain ben »

Well my wife and I have now returned from Le Morne Mauritius. Paradise, lovely beach, weather, hotel, wind and water.

We stayed in Berjaya Hotel which is down wind from Club Mistral and the more expensive but apparently not as well fitted out/generous Indian Ocean Hotel which Sportif Holidays package.

The Berjaya Hotel is excellent and its only a short walk around the point 100m until you are in clean wind and open public beach. There is plenty of shady grassed areas to store your kit fully rigged and ready to go at the hotel.

The whole beach is a lovely spot.

Around the point you are exposed to the full force of the prevailing easterly winds which on good days start from 11am and blow solidly increasing from F3/4 to F5/6 comfortably.

The sailing area upwind/down wind is large but is somewhat limited in reaching distance due to large outer reefs with the infamous One Eye pounding away along with other not so small breaks either upwind. There are smaller more manageable waves upwind which break over slightly deeper water.

The area in front of the reefs is shallow 1.2-1.5m max in depth. Max reaching distance is 300-500m until you either have to negotiate mountainous waves or if its sailable (only with smaller waves breaking) the narrow channel through the reef.

Dead/live coral abounds and cuts unprotected feet so need to be careful.

Out of the two weeks we were there from 2nd Nov to 16th Nov it blew F4+ 8 out of 14 days not bad for November. The wind is apparently more consistent in earlier October as November starts moving into their summer period with more settled weather and less wind.

Anyway the non wind days give time to explore the island and snorkel with the amazing fish and corals.

If you plan to go to Le Morne I would recommend the Berjaya Hotel. Very good high quality massive rooms. Go All Inclusive as you are isolated from supermarkets and there are no restaurants etc nearby. Thus food and drink opportunities are confined to three hotels in the area which over the course of 1/2 weeks get very expensive.

Would we go back yes if we want another November holiday. It is rather expensive £2600 for two all told but Greece doesn't work much cheaper now when you factor in the cost of food and drink which seems to rise in cost exponentially every year.

Anyway we are now back to reality and looking forward to 5mm dry suit and 8 degree C water!

C u on the water.

Ben.
dro
surf god
surf god

spoil the symmetry

Post by dro »

I thought I'd better answer, otherwise captain ben spoils the symmetry
Sounds very similar to a warm Port Eynon
I am sure I would have hated it !!
Warm, constant wind and all inclusive
sounds dreadful

Did they have proper deck chairs and cold lager for the clearly stormy conditions that you endured?? I wonder
AND I bet they had no fun boats for Claire
AND worse of all there was no ME there

You poor unlucky dears
What a Timidless holiday
No matter back to the wonderful envoirenment of South Wales and its many attractions
Lucky Escape

Welcome home

Lord timid
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I'll bet there's lots of cold, insipid lager there, though.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
dro
surf god
surf god

o.lk

Post by dro »

So its true Martin
Every cloud has a silver lining

P.S.
Where the hell were you on Sunday?
Lucky I missed it otherwise I might really have been upset!!!
(not sure why though)

Lord Timid's hologram's brother
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?