Board for 55kgs female beginner??

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Board for 55kgs female beginner??

Post by MartinF »

Someone's been asking me recently about boards suitable for beginners: As I've not been in that sort of position for about 20 years, I can't really offer all that much help....

Someone's looking to introduce their girlfriend into the sport: She's around 55Kgs. Budget is around £450 - so something 2nd hand, ideally including rig, would be ok.

Ideally, the board would have further use beyond beginner stages :?

Been looking at things like BiC Nova (probably too big), Fanatic Viper, et al.

All sugggestions gratefully appreciated (other than - have lessons, rent board before buying & other obvious things!).

Thx,
Martin
Last edited by MartinF on Wed Sep 15, 2004 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

this may sound odd ,but here goes , looking at the weight you quoted 55kg , maybe a kids board , all the big players jp/starboard have just released mini versions of their boards for kids/people of this weight , they seem priced resonablly ,there where some tests in one the mags last month .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Beginners kit

Post by steve powell »

First boards can be very important in keeping the beginner interested so that the initial steep learning curve is attempted. Mine was a HiFly Bleriot, big, floaty (i am not a small guy and needed 192litres!),had a dagger board and cost £100. I cant remember if there was a mast,sail,boom thrown in but getting onto (into) the water was cheap. I guess starting out is different for everyone (income, spare time, etc..) but finding someone to do it with is probably up there near the top.
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
NeilB
novice
novice

Post by NeilB »

My advice on beginner's board ..

For the absolute beginner, I'd say a large second hand board with a dagger board. Worth keeping the cost down on the board since this is likely to be replaced when the sailor improves. Something with 2 to 3 times the bouancy needed, e.g. 200L for an 80Kg sailor.

Once past the basics then something like the Bic techno is good. At 150L it is still easy to sail but will always be a fun light wind board even for the expert. This isn't an ad for Bic, there are many similar equally good boards by other makers.

When buying second hand it is always worth taking someone who knows a bit about the sport - there are some grotty boards out there.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

As you say Neil the BIC Techno is good from a sailing point of view, indeed you convinced me to buy one. Whilst I don't regret that decision, and the BICs are good value for money, the Techno's noise is a bit fragile. I would add this consideration into the debate. There are more robust boards, if the learner is starting on harness etc and likely to be catapulted or over powered.
Graham
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: Beginner boards

Post by MartinF »

MartinF wrote:Someone's been asking me recently about boards suitable for beginners: As I've not been in that sort of position for about 20 years, I can't really offer all that much help....

Someone's looking to introduce their girlfriend into the sport: She's around 55Kgs. Budget is around £450 - so something 2nd hand, ideally including rig, would be ok.

Ideally, the board would have further use beyond beginner stages :?
In the end, he's bought her a BiC Techno 293. Be good to hear some feedback about how she gets on with it...