beginner again

What are the most suitable boards/sails/wetsuits...

Moderator: Moderators

kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

cor Martin 2 booms in 7yrs , you cant be giving em what for , I kill a boom a year minimum , if it aint broke by yr old it goes in junk pile before it does !
Mast fair a lot better , and modern boards had one 12 weeks and practically snapped it in half , ripped out fin boxes , holes ,etc ,etc ,
p.s. next time we meet i,ll demo your kit ha,ha,

As for the, what board issue never liked the techno,s when I tried them ( funny enough tried one again several wks ago and glad to get off it ) so shit to the money you only live once i,d get the starboard .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I think you guys need to remember we are talking about starting out/improving, not experts taking on major waves etc. At this level you'd be stupid to take on the sort of sea you are talking about. I would have thought breaking the nose on the board is far more likely. If you start taking on the open water/waves then you’ll probably be upgrading the kit before then.

As for Kelvin’s view on the techno, well he seems to be in the minority. Also having seen the array of repairs to the Carves at the centre in Bitez, I’m not convinced that they are particularly robust.
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

Thank you Kelvin
I just knew the Welshman would come up trumps

Just what I wanted a well thought out,objective and detailed analysis of the pros and cons of the various boards.
Then the icing on the cake a superb logically argued out conclusion

I agree

tough luck on the son
Sod commom sense
bugger the money
Send the wife out to work

GIVE ME THE SHINY NEW TOY WITH THE GO FASTER STRIPES AND SMALL STEERING WHEEL

:D :D :D IT'S A STARBOARD FOR ME!!!! :D :D :D
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

Thata the boy rodney you know it makes sense go for it , as for repairs sailed a starboard acid for past 3yrs and its still whole , from a guy who sometimes sails 7days a week and puts more use in a board in six months than most guys do in several seasons that good testimony .
Also Techno,s where not famed for their nose strenth on release and most owners who had them this way smashed the noses in , when I picked my Mistral Flow up from repair from blue chip previosly (yes wrecked one of them as well) he told me he was doing at least 3 techno noses a week .
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

kelvin wrote:cor Martin 2 booms in 7yrs , you cant be giving em what for , I kill a boom a year minimum , if it aint broke by yr old it goes in junk pile before it does !
I'll do you a deal - next time u throw a boom away that's 1yr old & not broken, feel free to throw it my way. And that's a real genuine offer, folks.

Maybe I'm just lucky, dunno. My small carbon boom is the one that gets the most use - like I said: It's seriously solid - but with crap back-end adjustment.
kelvin wrote:Mast fair a lot better , and modern boards had one 12 weeks and practically snapped it in half , ripped out fin boxes , holes ,etc ,etc ,
p.s. next time we meet i,ll demo your kit ha,ha,
Hmm, I'll need to think about that.

Ok, I've thought about it - neither Ian, nor Kelvin get to demo my kit - but thanks for the offer.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

dro wrote:
GIVE ME THE SHINY NEW TOY WITH THE GO FASTER STRIPES AND SMALL STEERING WHEEL

:D :D :D IT'S A STARBOARD FOR ME!!!! :D :D :D
Huw - There's an F2 Powerglide f/s on the Forces of Nature website - http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk/

Personally, I'd be wary of the Starboard, but only 'cos of the deep tuttle fin box & the price & (poor) availability of smaller fins - which you'll want/need.
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

Last chapter

Sincere thanks to everyone for their interest and suggestions

special thanks to Kelvin for reasons already given (see well reasoned argument)

And to Graham U for the Boards internet address he placed in his reply.

As I stated in last posting Kelvin's comprehensive analysis had inspired me to abandon reason and go for the starboard.
Just before phoning the dealer I ran thru the replies in the forum and checked E bay once again

E Bay:
bic techno good nick. sale ending Fri 3 P.M. very tempted to bid but up in York so long way to fetch.Resisted temptation.
Then sent an E mail to an ad. in boards free ads for 2 nd hand bic techno plus the gubbins(sails booms etc) and to my surprise received an answer

Gentle negotiations followed and the result is that a trip to Manchester was quickly organised and I am now the proud owner of a nice blue and white Bic Techno 283 nice condition with 6.7 and 7.5 sails and other asssorted trinkets.
(sorry Kelvin)
A rather nice bonus was the fact that he was selling a Bic 7'3" mini mo surf board which is the exact model that my son was looking for.
So everybody happy.

Unfortunate side effect of this sale is that the exteremely pleasant internet
discussion has come to an end and that I will finally have to extract my digit and actually try some windsurfing.(It looks very cold , wet and far too much wind)
Perhaps I will buy something else instead

Thank you everybody

Huw

P.S.
5.7 sail has a 2 "straight tear at base near mast tube
is it possible to repair it diy and what should I use?
(perhaps discussion not over after all !!!!)
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Congrats - let us know how you get on with the Techno. What fin(s) do you have for it?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

dro wrote: <<stuff snipped>>

5.7 sail has a 2 "straight tear at base near mast tube
is it possible to repair it diy and what should I use?
(perhaps discussion not over after all !!!!)
Reply posted in (newly created) Repairs forum, right here.
Last edited by MartinF on Tue Oct 26, 2004 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Good luck Huw:D I hope you get on OK with the Techno, mine still gets a regular workout, though not to the Kelvin and Martin standard. Hopefully if you didn't spend so much on the kit, you'll be looking to upgrade in a while.
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

postscript

Post by dro »

So !!!!!!

finally went wind surfing

took nice blue and orange techno to broadhaven

Wind accross beach ,friend with binoculars and phone for coastguard in case.

Away to go

Chose the black mast,blue boom,grey fin and 6.7 sail (because that is all I had with me)

carefuly assessed surf condition (small 6" waves, regular) and bravely staggered into water.First problem fin too big (just a little boy at heart, had to try the biggest first) so had to go deeper to start than expected (full marks to Martin but have smaller fin for next time)
Then amazing thing happened waves grew in front of my eyes until they were at least 6 foot and angry.But bravely and very unsteadily I set off
rather fun in fact and then turned and came back .Very proud of myself.

went to meet friend to discuss the astonishing change in wave size and to my amazement she missed it completely.Claimed they had not changed at all (clearly had not been concentrating)

Then found myself completely knackered from trying to balance the sail for the 45 minutes it took me to start.
had fortifying cup of OXO like my mam used to make and tried again.
Could not believe it ,waves immediately trebeled in size as soon as I touched water.But had another few runs before collapsing in heap and finding myself too tired to get sail off mast (my old fashioned cloth sail and tie on boom easier for this).

Is this wave growing phenomenon unique to Broadhaven and should it be reported to the authorities?

Anyway techno seems a rather nice board lovely colour(matches my eyes)
and perhaps next time I might have more confidence

Thank you to everone for their interest and have a pleasant social evening tonight.Thought about attending but in the end decided that the 200m walk to Cydweli rugby club was probably easier for a man of my years.Especially after my excertions yesterday!

Happy Xmas

Huw
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: postscript

Post by MartinF »

dro wrote:took nice blue and orange techno to broadhaven
Nothing like starting at the deep end :wink:
dro wrote:Then amazing thing happened waves grew in front of my eyes until they were at least 6 foot and angry.But bravely and very unsteadily I set off
rather fun in fact and then turned and came back .Very proud of myself.
Excellent - congrats!! :lol:
dro wrote:went to meet friend to discuss the astonishing change in wave size and to my amazement she missed it completely.Claimed they had not changed at all (clearly had not been concentrating)
0 out of 10 for observation skills.
dro wrote:Is this wave growing phenomenon unique to Broadhaven and should it be reported to the authorities?
Oddly enough, both this AND the opposite effect have been noted - but not usually by the same person at the same time.
dro wrote:Anyway techno seems a rather nice board lovely colour(matches my eyes)
and perhaps next time I might have more confidence
Try never to get yourself in a position where your board is that close to your eyes as to be indistinguishable.

Next time, you'll still be every bit as tentative, but you'll persevere a little longer & improve. Then you'll feel even more confident.
OTOH, If you have a bad time next time (which can happen), it's not you, it's the conditions.