Start windsurfing

What worked/didn't work for you. Sort out that 3xpirouette heli-dismount here

Moderator: Moderators

GJB

Start windsurfing

Post by GJB »

Hi,

I spent last weekend trying to learn to Windsurf in Poole Harbour and while not particularly successful, thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have a holiday in a couple of weeks where I should be able to do some more, but I wanted to know what the best way of keeping going through the winter months - all the places I have looked on the web only do lessons to Oct and I don't want to have to relearn the little I did take on next Summer!

Cheers
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Hi & Welcome.

Sounds like an overseas holiday might be the only therapy available.

Boards Mag is currently running a series on holiday venues cross-referenced with wind. Might be worth checking out.

Otherwise, equip yourself with a good winter steamer, wetsuit boots, thermos of coffee and hip flask of rum, and stick around with some of the Nomads for some impromptu advice and sailing buddies.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
dro
surf god
surf god

I agree

Post by dro »

overseas holiday brilliant solution

another is to join the "timids"

very safe, lots of discussing equipment, technique,ebay etc. very little windsurfing.

BUT

I think there is a gap
unfortunately the gap seems situated in west wales at moment
Nice flat water, gentle(ish) wind and generally fiddling around on boards larger than a lollipop sticks.

Not sure what to do about it but if you are travelling around Llanelli give me a call

Looking forward to Barry
Shame about Port eynon

All the best Huw
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Poole Windsurfing
novice
novice

On the right track with windsurfing lessons

Post by Poole Windsurfing »

Sounds like you got off to a good start with some windsurfing lessons at Poole Harbour.

Its a great place to learn & progress with your windsurfing skills. The effective season is really between May & Oct, outside of these times the water just gets too cold to enjoy the learning process!

If you are ever back down Poole way check out:
Poole Windsurfing
for windsurfing lessons, equipment hire or just some friendly advice.

Poole Windsurfing also have a great windsurfing information site Top Windsurfing Tips & News which provides news, reviews, advice & discussions. Tips on techniques, bargain buys, travel destinations & equipment reviews. Regular how-to articles, video posts & latest windsurfing news - weekly summary.
Poole Windsurfing - Lessons & Hire
Phone: 01202 237247
Email: info@poolewindsurfing.co.uk
Web: www.poolewindsurfing.co.uk
RAW1979
had a lesson
had a lesson

Begginer advice

Post by RAW1979 »

Hi Guys,

Thought this post might be able to help.

Just got back from Mexico where I taught myself the basics and did pretty well I think.

Totally caught the bug now and need to learn more. I only know of Croft Farm in Gloucester for lessons but am a Bristol boy so hope you can tell me of anything more local.

If anyone doesnt mind a novice tagging along with them on a trip out, I'd love to learn from people actually out there doing it.

Cheers,

Russ