Hamworthy at Risk

Any questions / thoughts about specific places - particularly those outside of our *normal* area. Note that there's also the locations section on the main website with stacks if info about our area + Anglesey + Fuerteventura.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Hamworthy at Risk

Post by Graham_U »

For those of you who have sailed their you may be interested in knowing that the planned expansion of the nearby marina could ruin Hamworthy as a windsurfing venue in the prevailing SW winds. If I had a GPS track of my runs on Sunday all the long runs would have gone through the site of the extension.

See the site below for more information and an on line petition if you feel inclined.

http://dropapianoonthismarina.webs.com/
Graham
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Thought it would be good if we sign to post your views here, then saves time going through thousands to see what fellow Nomads had to say.

My parents used this place as a family day-out, so fond childhood memories. I am still visiting as a windsurfer and also when the wind doesn't blow can enjoy the Park as find the locals and people visiting this place always friendly. I feel the Marina will spoil the outlook of this place and will kill off the vibe which is enjoyed by normal people. I hope the voice of the people are listened to and this idea of a Marina is well binned!

Mark G
Welcome to the Surf
Mark Gregory
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Mark Gregory »

Hey just found Lorraine and Justin's postings, well they were above mine :lol: :lol:

You guys were up early, obivously checking out the winds again 8)

Justin Durant
05/08/2012 at 7:07 am
Wonderful sailing area that would be totally destroyed by this marina.

Lorraine Durant
05/08/2012 at 7:12 am
This Marina would take away a popular and unique windsurfing location used by many people.

Mark Gregory
05/08/2012 at 11:33 am
My parents used this place as a family day-out................
Welcome to the Surf
Steven
complete beginner

Post by Steven »

hello

the local freebie paper (Poole advertiser) ran a front page story yesterday saying that a seaward extension to Poole Quay was the preferred option of Poole Harbour Commissioners for the £25m marina. 'The controversial proposals for a development in front of Hamworthy Park came second'.
There is apparently another 6 weeks of consultation to go and there isn't a firm decision yet but reading between the lines it looks like a development at Hamworthy is now pretty unlikely.
Justin
surf god
surf god

Post by Justin »

Good news :D .......keeping fingers crossed.