Changes this summer at Weston

Any questions / thoughts about specific places - particularly those outside of our *normal* area. Note that there's also the locations section on the main website with stacks if info about our area + Anglesey + Fuerteventura.

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Changes this summer at Weston

Post by NigelP »

It is all change on Weston beach this summer

Rumour has it that Kite surfers may be regulated in the future and windsurfers may require a permit to sail. The permit has not been decided on yet - I believe - however it is being considered as a mechanism to ensure everyone has insurance. If permits are introduced there will need to be a validation process, which will no doubt have a cost. :roll: This could be a little worrying as the land buggies and land yachts seem to have been priced off the beach.

Hopefully the Nomads committee will be taking up this cause.

There are two other concerns to report. :( Five telegraph poles have appeared, which will be new obstacles to avoid. It is hoped that the council may be removing most of these although there is a requirement to keep the WARNING s(t)inking mud sign.

As well as adding posts, the car parking area has been reduced. It should be OK exvcept on the very busiest days or when there is a high tide, which could be a significant problem. Look out on the news for the cars trapped at Weston story later this year. :wink:

And the good news. I was only charged a pound for using the beach on Thursday and Friday of this week. The first time I have ever saved money by being a windsurfer. :D
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Not sure if the Nomads committee will have much clout. Who do we contact?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Al, I passed the details - as known - to Steve, who asked for them to be posted on the forum.

I sat on the committee for LBSA for some time and we found it was highly beneficial to talk to Thames Water, who wanted a total ban on all Windsurfing in the early days. We also found the RYA was very influential in this type of 'negotiation'.

Weston have already withdrawn some of their initial proposals, after a consultation process, and the rangers have responded very positively to suggestions.

I can't think of a better group to represent the local Windsurfing community than the Nomads.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Nigel Walker has already attended a council meeting to discuss some of the issues faced by beach users in general & windsurfers in particular. Basically, they're just a bunch of councillors who are trying to protect themselves from litigation & are pretty ignorant of the needs of beach users 'cos no-one's ever spoken up to them.

He found them quite receptive to his issues & concerns, with the result that most of the posts that were installed parallel to the waterline have now been removed - only the tall ones have been left in place. There's still a lot of work to do, but there's no reason to be put off, & I strongly believe that representation from an authoritative group (viz BNWC) could go a long way.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

OK thanks, we'll discuss it at the next committee meeting, with a view to making a representation.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

This is very much the RYA's area of expertise and if we are going to get involved (which we should) then we should get their help - I am certainly a member as I guess are others.

I would certainly be prepared to get involved - my only issue is that Oxford to WSM after work is about 100 miles so to get to meetings would be practically impossible.

Adrian
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

The new posts are a real pain in a Westerly. They can be directly on the exit route through the surf and you certainly do not want to be swept onto one by a big breaker.

If you or your kit is damaged by one of these posts are the council liable, because it is a hazard? I can only see the benefit of one to support the s(t)inking mud sign.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Re: Changes this summer at Weston

Post by MartinF »

NigelP wrote:There are two other concerns to report. :( Five telegraph poles have appeared, which will be new obstacles to avoid. It is hoped that the council may be removing most of these although there is a requirement to keep the WARNING s(t)inking mud sign.

As well as adding posts, the car parking area has been reduced. It should be OK exvcept on the very busiest days or when there is a high tide, which could be a significant problem. Look out on the news for the cars trapped at Weston story later this year. :wink:
There is another cause for complaint: The official exit from the beach for the last few years has one trailing all the way along Marine Parade one-way snarl-up, adding further to the appalling congestion along there at busy times, and adding many minutes or tens of minutes to the journey away from the beach - along with the consequent cost of fuel and additional pollution from exhausts. It would be far better to get traffic away from the beach as quickly as possible by allowing it to turn RIGHT off the beach & thus onto Beach Road - as it used to be.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

There has been a slight improvement in the exit route. You can now turn right half way along Marine Parade and join the coast road.