Week end 18th/19th July

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

Justin
surf god
surf god

Week end 18th/19th July

Post by Justin »

Wind looking good for some local sailing this week end, with westerlies both days :D . Should be some good wind for the Axbridge demo.
Me and Lorraine are planning to sail Weston Saturday (HT 15.50), and check out the kit at Axbridge on Sunday - NOTE: 'T4 on The Beach' at Weston on Sunday will probably mean no access for sailing.
Anyone else planning to go to Weston or Axbridge?

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Neroli and I will be heading to Axbridge
If found, please return to the pub.

Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Can't do Weston or Axbridge Saturday unfortunately. Hoping to make it to Axbridge on Sunday, might even check out Brean/Berrow later.

Brian D
harness user
harness user

Post by Brian D »

looking out of the window at the wind tree and weston weather station at 10;10 on Sat has decided it for me - Axbridge on Sunday it is - 2 out of three forecasts also predict betterwind on sunday. 10,000 people on the beach at weston today & tommorow - good luck to anyone trying to sail or even get in or out of weston at the wrong time. See you tommorow at Axbridgel :lol:
Brian

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

A good turn out of Nomads at Axbridge today, including a guest star from West Wales. The wind was up and down but there were some good periods. Enough for me to recover some gybing ability. Looking at the forecasts at the moment tomorrow is not looking so good for Axbridge but the South coast looking good. I'm thinking of heading South, probably Hamworthy but open to persuasion, will check in the morning before I leave..
Graham

Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

I am heading off to Portland now for the day. Looks like its fairly windy there already. Hope to see a few of you there?
Sue

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Went to Hamworthy as planned, thought about Portland but the extra miles and holiday traffic from this direction put me off. I though Hamworthy would be a gentle sail, but I don't know what it was like at Potland, but at Hamworthy apart from a few holes it blew its sock off.

Started in the morning on the Kombat with 5.5, which turned out to be bigger than most, which was a handful at times. After a break I changed down to my 4.7 but the the change down was struggling to keep up with the wind which picked up all afternoon.

My time equally spent between going very fast, hanging on for grim death, and in the water after a failed turn. Manager to get round a few gybes on the kombat for the first time, but still trying to get used to the feel in lumpy sea. All in all not my best session, but glad I made the effort.
Graham

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Sunday was a classic Portland day - thanks to Sue for convincing Neroli and I to go down.

Started the morning on the Kombat 87 with the 5.2m and was just about in my comfort zone. After a brief break for lunch, went out with the 5.2 on the Acid 77 but quickly came in to change for Neroli's 4.6m.

Had some excellent white knuckle rides on the 4.6m as the wind continued to build during the pm. Identical direction to the speed trial last year but the gusts weren't as brutal.

Large collection of Nomads past and present out so nice to see some familiar faces - a large portion of whom had been at Axbridge the day before.

Body is feeling battered and bruised this morning, so a sure sign of a great sssion.
If found, please return to the pub.

Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Yes, a great day at Portland. Left Bristol under dark clouds and rain to find blue skies , sun (and the Gerrys) at the Boat Yard, Portland. Mike and Pierette soon arrived, followed by Ian (can't believe he did not know it was going to be a windy day on the south coast!!) , Neroli and Axel.
Huge winds all day - 28 knots plus and increasing. Managed a good session on my 4.7 (my smallest sail) until well and truly blown off the water. We all had a great sail, and it was well worth the effort of getting there. The Gerry's have booked a good week to stay in Weymouth.
There were a few other Nomads/ ex Nomads too - apologies that I don't know names.
Sue

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I had a poor sail on saturday at Branksome Chine on my 105l + 6.0 only just planning so on Sunday headed to Hayling to arrive exactly 1 week late for the Nomad away day :lol: Rigged my 4.7 and Evo 75, quickly putting more downhaul on before going to max outhaul and downhaul. If I had my 4.0 with me I would have changed down but based on the forecast it was in the garage as was my Fly which is better in short chop. The water conditions were the most brutal I have sailed in for years working the outer edge of the bar, A small number of down the line rides but only a small wave and unbelievably choppy on the face with short steep chop everywhere else and way overpowered. On deciding to call it a day I broad reached across the bar to short cut back with the bar now flooded waist deep it was an explosion of white water looking like it was under shell fire :!: An interesting experience. On getting back to the beach my anemometer was showing 35mph. More 18knt forcasts pleas :twisted:

Adrian

gerrys
chop hopper
chop hopper

Portland 19th July

Post by gerrys »

Good to see all your postings - sorry I put mine - with pictures - under Your trips and sessions......
Wind is an Illusion, Windsurfing doublely so....!

Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I started off down the M5 on Sunday intending Axbridge but half considering Portland. I hadn't managed an early enough start though so by the time I hit the M5 car park at Portishead the decision was made for me and Axebridge it was.

Brian, Justin and Lorraine were out on the water somewhere when I arrived around midday. Rich was keen to offer me a go on an iSonic 122/8m combo so I duly obliged. I found the iSonic quite a challenge, especially the rear straps which are right out on the rail. Once you're in them though, the thing really takes off and flies, especially upwind. In fact, it's quite hard not going upwind! It definitely likes to be powered up and is slightly scary :shock: , but in a good way. It certainly makes flat water sailing more interesting and I think it could become addictive if you don't mind being on the edge all the time. Swapped to a Futura 122 after which is much more user friendly but still a pretty quick board. Some heavy showers later on put paid to my sailing but we'd all had a good time thanks to the Windy World boys. :)

Here's one of Brian blasting in the rain.