Windsurfing around Bristol

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveArnold
complete beginner

Windsurfing around Bristol

Post by DaveArnold »

Hi all

Just after a bit of advice.

I have lived around South Devon, South Somerset for the last ten years. My usual windsurf spots are, Exmouth, Portland, Poole etc, with some trips down to Cornwall to Daymer Bay.

My parents live up in Bristol and I am up there reasonably regularly. I have been following the site to get an idea of what the nearby sailing is like, as I am keen to get a sail in when up in Bristol. I am up there this weekend.

It seems that there are 2 options, WSM and Severn Beach. Neither seem particularly loved by the majority, with most heading back down my way for a sail.

There is wind this Sunday and thinking of trying a spot. I have made the trip to WSM a couple of times, to find its bang onshore, nobodies out and it in general does not look inviting! It is looking like it will be a straight westerly which is onshore I believe, it is also forecast to be tipping down with rain which makes rigging up and de rigging in the mud particularly attractive.

Is it worth sailing WSM with an onshore? Is anyone planning on heading out at WSM/anywhere else?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Dave
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Re: Windsurfing around Bristol

Post by Adrian »

No one sails at Severn Beach, I think an hour either side of high is the max.

Weston is very popular and folk from Bristol only go South if the tide is out at Weston or they only like flat water. Remember you can only sail 2 hours either side of high on springs or max3 hours on neap tides. Onshore works very well but can be a challenge to get out at high tide unless you are good. Saturday sail able from about 1630 and Sunday from about 1739 as a higher tide so although my favourite beach I will go elsewhere to get a full days sailing rather than just an evening.

Hope this helps

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord
Ian H
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Ian H »

Dave

Adrian is right about Weston.

West or South west winds are best in my opinion. May be on shore but it is a great place to sail.
If you get there 2 to 3 hours before high tide and are prepared with the long walk out, you will not be dissapointed.
I hope to sail there on Sunday if there is enough wind.
DaveArnold
complete beginner

Post by DaveArnold »

Morning both

Thanks for your info!

Unfortunately I dont think tide times will work for me this weekend due to family commitments, but really good to know for future trips up, and if I end up moving up to Bristol! Fortunately I have just got back from 2 weeks windsurfing in Zakynthos so a week off will give my hands a chance to recover.

Have a good session

Dave
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

The water colour definetly better in Greece tha weston 8)
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Other options when WSM tide is wrong is over the bridge in South Wales, the Knap is low tide venue so tends to work when WSM is out. Like Adrian the main reason I head south is for longer session less tide dependent, also living in Wiltshire the travel difference is less. But have a look a the club website, you will find a most useful location finder there, although some of the reports are a while a go but I'm sure Martin would welcome updates:

http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/locatio ... /index.htm
Graham
DaveArnold
complete beginner

Post by DaveArnold »

Great thanks for the tips.

A low tide option is definitely worth knowing. Always frustrating when the wind blows and theres no water!

Busy watching the wind from my desk and debating a trip down to Portland this eve.

Cheers