Anyone up for Broad Haven this weekend?

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Anyone up for Broad Haven this weekend?

Post by MartinF »

Sun & Mon are starting to look particularly good out there at the mo: F6 on Sun, F5 on Mon.

My finances being as they are, I'd like to share a lift with someone else thinking of going out there - there's room for more boards & sails on my trailer.

Let me know,
Martin
Northy

Post by Northy »

Martin

I live in Pembs (but work in Bath and at home as often as poss), so will be around that area already if its windy!

If its SW i will be in Tenby south beach
NW or SE Newgale or BHaven
W might be Pendine

Steve
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Northy wrote: If its SW i will be in Tenby south beach
NW or SE Newgale or BHaven
W might be Pendine

Steve
Right now, WindGuru has reduced it's forecast for Sun - now looking like F5 Sun & Mon, with 16-17C temp & lots of cloud. Might just keep the bank hol. crowds away :lol:

Wind now showing as WSW on Sun veering WNW for Mon. My choice would be Broad Haven Sun & Newgale Mon.

I was always led to believe the Pendine was to be avoided like the plague 'cos of the likelihood of discovering the rock you just ran into was, in fact, an unexploded missile. Any chance you could do an update of our web page for Pendine, located here? Be really grateful if you could.
Northy

Post by Northy »

Well im not sure about the scare stories regarding Pendine. I have sailed there maybe 8 times and seen nothing and a lot of the peolpe that windsurf / kitesurf around the Tenby area sail there if the wind is Westerly. someone was formally teaching kitesurfing there as well?

Despite living in Pembs i have never had a good sail at BHaven, so cant really comment.

As Tenby is much nearer to me, has showers and so very friendly - then if its SW its really great. Only issues are that if its sunny the carpark will be busy and that it isnt typically a wave venue. But if you want starboard tack blasting / bump and jump in a mile of golden sand....

In a nutshell my windsurfing mental map goes like this:

If its SW or i have little time - Tenby SouthBeach. Maybe i need to extend this to BH?
If its NW go to NG or FWest for waves
If its W maybe Pendine
If its E maybe Pendine
If its SE go to Tenby, - or NG or FWest for waves
If its nuclear then go to Dale or Angel

So im not sure where BHave fits in. I know people say its good in a SW but doesnt the cliffs/headline to the left screw up the wind? Is it only good a low tide?? Really Not sure on Bhaven....never seemed to have got it right when i have sailed there.

The map above is skewed somewhat im sure cos i live in S pembs. If you live near NG / BH then you wont come to Tenby i guess...
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

no thanks down the last few weekends , that way so need a change , although its a cracking place when its windy/wavey .
there is a web cam /wether link from magicSeaweed.com.
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Northy wrote:In a nutshell my windsurfing mental map goes like this:

If its SW or i have little time - Tenby SouthBeach. Maybe i need to extend this to BH?
I'd modify that to sayif it SW and the tides out, then BH is fine. WHen the tide's in, the beach is too sheltered by the headland/cliffs.
WSW is fine; W pretty onshore. WNW dead onshore. Any of these can make it tough to get off the beach.

NW - N very good.
Northy wrote:If its NW go to NG or FWest for waves
If its W maybe Pendine
If its E maybe Pendine
If its SE go to Tenby, - or NG or FWest for waves
If its nuclear then go to Dale or Angel
Never sailed Freshwater West, nor Angle.
You 've very kindly updated our Pendine page (I'll update the page with your details later 2nite). How about doing us an even greater favour & providing new details for these two places? Link to new location page here.

Likewise, our details on Tenby are from my own recollections of having been there just once - & I didn't sail there that day either
:cry: Any chance you could take a look over those details, too?

Many thx,
Martin
Last edited by MartinF on Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

It's sorted, then:

Adrian & Jackie going in their camper van. Sun-Mon
Phil & Judy - staying at S Crockett. Sat-Mon
Al Donald & myself - prob also staying @ S Crockett. Sun-Mon.

Forecast has declined slightly - Sun F5, WSW veering W. Mon F5-4, NW veering NNW. Temp - a chilly 16 or 17C. Balmy August/summer continues :?

Likelyhood of sailing Broad Haven on Sun, Newgale on Mon.
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Writeup...

Post by MartinF »

... of this weekend is here. Enjoy!

Just think, we can do it all over again in a couple of weeks - for the "official" nomads trip.