IMCS

Got anything to say about gear? Here's the place

Moderator: Moderators

Bob Iles
carve gyber
carve gyber

IMCS

Post by Bob Iles »

Any one know how critical IMCS ratings are? I want to buy a new sail but the recommended mast IMCS is 21, whilst the mast I would have to rig it on has a rating of 19. The shop said it would be okay, but they would say that wouldn't they. I do not really want to drive to them to rig the sail on my gear but want it mail ordered.
Any one have an thoughts on this other than buy another mast?
Bob
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Bob

I think the sail manufacturer normally states an IMCS range which is OK for rigging the sail - with the optimum (ideal/ best) mast stated. I know Tush do! So if your 19 is within the stated range then you should be OK, but the ideal mast will be the 21. Guess you need to weigh up how often you are likely to use the sail etc.

Still not much decent wind around :(

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I survived for a number of years using my old NR 4.7 on a 4M cut down from 4.30 10% Mast I got for a tenner which was described as a "bit stiff" by the previous owner. That was until last year when Weston chewed it up the sail. Most of my other sails from 5.5 to 7.8 sat on the same 460 tush 40% mast with a lot of head tape on the small ones, and I survived, so you can get away with anything that fits.

So it really depends on your budget, having just taken Alistair's nice 430 70% mast it does make some of them a lot easier to rig and feel nicer. It also seems to make a bigger difference on the Gun Wave sails compared with the Tushy Storm freeride sails.
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

reassurance

Post by dro »

as long as no colour clash between mast and sail no problems.
Safe to ignore all those funny letters and numbers
Hope this helps

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Did you not like our replies, Bob ..? :lol:

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Bob Iles
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by Bob Iles »

Thanks for your help and I think I will go with Dro's suggestion and consider the colour scheme.
Bob