Friday 27 Nov

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
surf god
surf god

Friday 27 Nov

Post by Sue »

Hey Matt – did you get out at WSM on Friday?

Well, I made my way to Portland. It didn’t seem such a good idea when I was loading the car up early morning in the cold, dark and heavy rain. I really had to talk myself into going, but I know there is nothing worse than making the wrong decision to stay at home, only to find out too late in the day you should have gone.

The drive down the M5 was horrendous, and I couldn’t see WSM for the rain and black clouds (it was also only 6 degrees passing there :shock: ). Somehow I had got ELO’s “Mr Blue Sky” annoyingly on my brain, which may have been a good omen because by the time I got to Portland (10.15 ish), the sun was out, the sky was blue, it was 10 degrees (yippee), the tide was in, and there was plenty of westerly wind :D . So much wind in fact spray was being blow across the road from Chesil beach , I had motion sickness sitting in the rocking car, and couldn’t open the car door! All far too windy for my 4.7 sail and 85 litre ----- aaarhh! :evil: :evil: (wind stats showed it was gusting 45 knots!)

There were only a handful of people around, but fortunately a local couple that I know well from Dahab hols (who live in Weymouth, and seem to live at the Boatyard – Mark and Claire) turned up, so i had some peeps to chat with and confirm that I wasn't being a wimp and it was indeed far too windy for a 4.7.

About 1.30ish the wind appeared to drop a little, thankfully, so I rushed out. It had also veered slightly northly of w, so not quite such a good direction, but nevertheless i had a great time out, powered up, and made more gybes than I failed on the flat water. I was also toasty warm once sailing. I stopped about 3.15 – and Mark and Claire very kindly derigged my kit for me in 2 mins flat (what a treat :D ) before they departed.

So overall, disappointing that I couldn’t sail all day ( I need some smaller kit!), but I’m v pleased I made the effort and really enjoyed the sail that I did have. It’s good to know too that it wasn’t cold. :D :D . I wish Portland was closer .. or rather that the roads to get there were better!

Sue
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Hi Sue

Yes it is a great place, I don't think I've ever been disappointed going there even though it is quite a long trek. Highlight for me was probably a few years ago when I went down in mid week, to find the speed event was on and a certain Mr Dunkerbeck was taking part :D

My tip for the route is to take to the country lanes to the west of the town, avoiding the Dorchester bypass and the main road into Weymouth. Sorry I can't remember the details right now, but you go through a place called Portesham. The road is narrow but done right it brings you in towards Portland avoiding all traffic jams.
Alistair
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Hi Sue, I didn't bother going to Weston in the end since XC weather was showing no wind. I could also see there was wind at Portland so I'm glad it dropped enough for you to get a sail in, it would be a real drag to drive all that way and not sail because it's too windy! I only had the afternoon off so Portland wasn't an option for me. Had a nice bike ride along the Cotswold escarpment instead though. :D

Re getting to Portland, I use the same route as Alastair. It involves turning off at Grimstone and goes over the hill near the Hardy monument before dropping down to Portesham. I think it's described elsewhere on the website. I don't think its any quicker if there are no hold ups on the main road route but it is very scenic so I always go that way. Have you sailed much this year Al?
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Me? Not even been out this last month. There have been some days where I perhaps could/should have gone to Newton like some of you did. But I'm getting so out of practice that I find a big day quite scary now, when in my younger days I would have been a lot more gung-ho.

Last good sail was at Portland in September I think but this throws up the other problem I have going sailing these days and that is the travel time/distance :(
Alistair
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I went down to Avon Beach on Sunday and arrived to find a couple of folk out on 4.0 and 4.2's both way overpowered both complaining of the cold and horizontal rain. Started to head home and after about 2 miles the sun came out so a quick return to the beach to rig my 4.0 and 72 ltr board. Very gusty, comfortable in the lulls and stupidly overpowered in the gusts with a big swell running at 6ft plus and an occosionally ridable wave - lots of good waves but normally too overpowered to make the bottom turn - then a hail storm that caused a white out for about 5 minutes :cry: after that the wind dropped to a comfortable force 7 :lol: and it was perfect on the 4.0. Visibility remained close to zero with lots of rain but some superb waves with the best yielding 4 very nice down the line turns with the 5th depositing me on the shingle :twisted: I never can resit that last turn :roll: Turned out a great session and not too cold- very thankful that I did not bottle it.

PS I agree with the route directions previously given
PPS - you rarely really enjoy a 4.0mtr sail but it is better than not sailing :D

Adrian
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Thanks for all the directions advice.

Yes, I have been the cross country scenic route from Grimstone. I think it takes longer than straight through Weymouth, but no doubt that depends whether it is holiday season.

The part of the journey I dislike is getting through Bristol and out to Shepton Mallett. It’s Ok early on a weekend morning, but a nightmare mid week with rush hour/going to work traffic, in which case I prefer the motorway because at least you feel you are getting somewhere! The quickest I have made the trip (through Bristol and SMallett) is 1hr 55 early on a Sunday morning. But it’s taken over 2 ½ hrs on a weekday morning, and always tends to be 2.5 hrs on the way back.

My kit has been too big several times this year at Portland. Probably because I only go down there when wind is guaranteed, and the forecasts seem to underestimate – shouldn’t complain about that really.

Sunday sounded hairy on the coast. There was no wind here – just plenty of rain.

Wonder whether Lord T made it back from M&S Bath? He has been quiet for a few days...
dro
surf god
surf god

response

Post by dro »

we clearly lead parallel lives Sue

I also had to drive through difficult conditions to reach my destination

Bath eventually reached 5 PM Sat after many detours and directions from drugged up locals.
Fortunately? in time to watch Wales destroyed on television
Lady T offered me wild passionate sex rather than watch the match but as I pointed out there must to be priorities .
I think I need to see a psychiatrist !!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Anyway M&S , again led astray.
Felt rather proud of myself cos avoided M&S completly but followed naively like a lamb to the slaughter to much more expensive shops.

I now sit here sadly admiring her expertise and power . Accepting therfore that I am but a poor manipulated male.

Yours sadly and rather pathetically
lord Timid

P.S.
By the way did I tell you that I called in Cardiff on the way to pick up my repaired red sail.
Looks lovely :D :D

P.P.S
Did I also tell you that I found a rather nice 5.0 M sail which sets on a 4.3m mast and used my pretty gold card to buy it.

P.P.P.S

NO

Ah Ah I did!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Lady T 1: lord T 1
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Sue
surf god
surf god

Re: response

Post by Sue »

dro wrote:we clearly lead parallel lives Sue
Yes, clearly spookily parallel, Lord T ... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

The important question is what colour is your new sail? And when can we expect it's christening event ?

Sue
dro
surf god
surf god

hmm

Post by dro »

OOps it's white

christening when WARM

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?