weekend 5 / 6th Dec

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
surf god
surf god

weekend 5 / 6th Dec

Post by Sue »

Sat - didn't get my a*se into gear to travel to Portland, so went up to Axbridge knowing that there was no wind forecast, but hoping that all the forecasts were wrong and that there was an unexpected gale just around the corner. Needless to say there wasn't :( ! Walked around the lake, saw a fisherman land a ginormous pike with the biggest teeth :shock: (the pike that is - we need an emoticon with teeth here!) and went home.

Sunday - up at the the lake again today, sitting on the rescue boat supervising the dinghy races (... say no more, :evil: ). Am frozen to the core now despite a very hot bath and turning the heating right up. Just two windsurfers out - two Martins infact (Nomadic Martin plus a non-nomadic Martin if that make things clearer!!). I don't think the wind was as strong as forecasted, although I did spot them having planing moments!

I see that Portland scored excellant winds both yesterday and today - that was the place to be!

Sue
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

I went to Newton today :)

Great place why have I never sailed there before? Easy launching with progressively bigger lumps as you get out. What's not to like (apart from the M4).

There was a large student presence, holding some kind of competition. Also at least a few of the BWA were there.

So I rigged my old 5.3 and went out, a quick out and back just to get myself into the swing of things. Then after a rest I went out again, this time right out until I was the last windsurfer I could see, then I did a small jump off a wave and felt something give on the landing - uhoh I thought :shock:. I've experienced this before. So I dropped in and on inspection the boom was broken near the clamp. :x

I managed to body drag all the way back to the beach so I could pack up and go home again :cry: I am more upset about missing the session than the broken boom but I guess that's a sign that I should just replace it and not give up the sport altogether :roll:
Alistair
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Yes, Newton is a good place Al - I need to get back there again. Pleased you had a good sail, and it was fortunate that you were able to get yourself back in again, even if it meant ending the session early.

Sue
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Bad luck there Alastair, glad you got back in OK. Still at least you managed a bit of a sail unlike my visit yesterday where I got as far as putting my wetsuit half on before deciding it wasn't worth getting wet. I like Newton too, especially as it works tidewise when Weston doesn't.
Sue, I had a really cold day like that in the rescue boat last year, borderline hypothermia I reckon, so you have my sympathy. Today I added a few more layers which paid off to the extent that I managed a quick sail afterwards on the big kit. :D I'm still gutted to have missed Newton though.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

yes sat was a bit kanff
did manage a bit of time on the water beteen big lulls though ....

Sunday was way better , 5.3m and a wave board all day ....
Small waves and a reasonalbe air temp ...

Very busy with 30 plus students in swa wave comp and 30 plus bwa for the puravida winter series .

The locals good some good uncrowded time in on the water in morninng before the comps kicked off .

Ad returned for a full shift of planning fun ...

forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

Alistar - sorry about boom , but Jim had a full load of kit on demo you shoulda just demo something after the drive ! alternativy he would hade sold yer,s a boom ...Image
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
dro
surf god
surf god

respect

Post by dro »

very impressed Sue
I do not know how you do it
The weather in M&S almost killed me

Unfortunately I have no pictures of my trolley jumps and lane change jybes cos M&S do not allow performance photography but believe me they were spectacular

Spent the last week recovering

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Wwent to Newton on Saturday - mistake should have gone South. Scored a cuppa with matt and a chat with Kelvin and the BWA crew. The students were supposed to be shooting a near naked calendar by the photograher conmplained to us that he could not get any enthusiasm - wonder why :lol: Not sure if he convinced them or not. Matt and I rigged when some wind arrived and Kelvin started planning but it had gone by the time we had finished so we stayed dry.

Sunday saw me back at Newton for proper wind. Sorry I missed you Alistair but do not think we know each other - sjhame as I had a spare boom. You were unlucky the student rescue jet bike did not pick you up. saw then bring in 1 destroyed rig and a guy was dragged out of the water with a dislocated knee as I was rigging. Luckily they were all medical students :!:

A great session well overpowered at times on 5.2 but underpowered inside. Demo'd another twinser. Kelvin and I sailed the contest final - in fairness I know I did not qualify and I know Kelvin had no idea if he qualified but we had a great session. Luckily managed to stay clear of Nobby who seemed to think it was a knock out contest hitting the rescue ski and at least 1 sailor :oops:

Well worth the trip.

Adrian
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Hi Adrian yes I think we have met but I usually keep a low profile so I rarely get recognized in public 8)

Yes I should have borrowed a boom, didn't think of that at the time.

I was quite pleased with my self-rescue efforts though. I was going to speak to the jet ski lot to reassure them that if anyone had reported to them a sailor with a broken boom that it was me and I was safely back on the beach, but after helping them recover the said personal watercraft onto its trailer, they were obviously not aware that anyone was in potential danger, and I left it at that. Plus being such a lardy old fart in the presence of so many fit and toned young athletes I was far too embarrassed to admit I had broken a boom :oops:
Alistair