Well done Weston! Sunday 24/7

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
surf god
surf god

Well done Weston! Sunday 24/7

Post by Sue »

Despite a suspect forecast and lack of sun, Weston delivered yet again another really great sailing session :D :D .

Arived about 11.15am, at same time as Justin and Lorraine, to an already decent W breeze - so the 5.5 and 85 litre were an easy choice. Matt turned up soon after, plus new Nomad Mihali.

Nicely powered up right from the start - slightly under if anything (which I prefer) so plenty of planing action right across the bay, and playing in the bumps. The bumps seemed pretty manageable today .. but I was told the conditions were easy(!), hence my first sailing session across high tide. Justin must have been finding it easy - to spice things up he was practising forward loops (catapults!) in about 6inches of water! :shock: :lol:

Had an enforced stop for fluids and refuelling - and then back out again to catch the tide before it disappeared. A great second session, with the wind increasing and the water flattening off. Stopped only when I suddenly sunk into mud a foot deep :shock: directly in line with the parking area, so thought it was time to stop! A long walk back in!

Had the odd decent gybe (amongst many crap ones!), including one which I must have caught a wave, as I was thrown by the sudden speed and fell off the back of the board :lol:. Tried a few jumps for the first time ... good fun, so I'm going to work on those now!

Anyway, thanks again to Martin for repairing my 85l so speedily. I'd have really missed it today! :D

Thanks also to Matt for:
- the freshwater beach shower! :D
- allowing me to change in his warm van - kindly heated up by a boiling kettle :lol:
- the choccy provisions :D :D

Surprisingly chilly off the water - despite it being near the end of July. Overall, another really fantastic day with lots of sailing .. 8) :D

Sue :D
Last edited by Sue on Mon Jul 25, 2011 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nature playing with windsurfers
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I knew I was not going to get to WSM early enough to be worth while so had my first session of the year at Axbridge. got there after one and was one the water before 2 with my big kit, iSonic and the 9.4 Lightning.

The wind was a bit up and down but the kit was enough to be planning most of the time, and a bit of a handful in the gusts. I did rig my 7.5M as the 9.4 is very heavy and limits what you can do. But it was never quite enough for more than the odd run, so quickly back to the 9.4.

The racing finished early and so I had the lake to myself for the last hour that was an interesting. When the gust picked up I forgot what I was sailing and tried to chop hop a few times. Sort got into that habit last week, got the board up but there was no way that 56cm fin was going clear the water.

All in in, not great but well worth the trip.
Graham
Loz
beach starter
beach starter

Post by Loz »

Good sail at Weston on Sunday on 5m/80l. Justin on 5.7/96l.
Conditions were just right for me with the neap tide :D
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Excellent, nice'n'easy session on the Naish 112L and 6.5 for me and much better than expected.:D :D Dithered over going 7.3 to start with but saw sense (well Justin planing on his 5.7actually) and the 6.5 turned out just right, especially with a big fin in to help get planing. Plenty of fun waves around to play on and the wind filled in a bit more later to round things off nicely. Impressed how Sue didn't seem to want to stop sailing even long after sensible people had packed up.

Could've done with some more sun though since it was quite hard to spot the bumps in the flat light at times. Strange how it was sunny inland everywhere on the drive home too, must've helped to boost the wind even though it was cloudy at the beach.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Matt wrote: Impressed how Sue didn't seem to want to stop sailing even long after sensible people had packed up.
...I wasn't feeling too "sensible" when stuck in the mud in the shallows, and couldn't even walk to the shoreline :shock: !. Luckily I managed to eventually manoeuvre the kit to beach start, and sail to firmer sand!! Will take care with that "last run!" another time on an outgoing tide!! :lol:

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers