Portland Easter Monday

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeremy
harness user
harness user

Portland Easter Monday

Post by Jeremy »

Yikes, that was pretty chilly! Arrived early and managed about 40 minutes before head and hands got too painful. Forgot hat. Doh! Fortunately staying in East Devon so not far to drive. Great to get on the water after too many months off. When it's that cold, you certainly try to make dry gybes %-(
rachael
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by rachael »

Glad I wasn't the only one out on such an amazing day!

Jeremy you need to not stop for the winter, then April feels toasty warm compared to Feb! :D To be fair I couldn't have done without a hat though! Had the wind got up when you were on the water? I hope you had a good sail while it lasted, at least each one should be warmer from here in!

We got to Poole about 10ish for breakfast then got on the water maybe 11:30ish, by which time it was getting proper windy, I started on a well downhauled 5m and Kode86, had some great fun in the big chop as the tide came in, then around 1:30ish started getting thrown over the front so had to change down to 4.2m which was perfect and we stayed out till maybe 3:30. I wish we'd had a GPS out, everyone was absolutely flying! I couldn't have asked for a better warm up session for Vass. There were lots of windsurfers and kites out, and Sam Ross was running a demo day.

I've made friends with the smaller Kode now (counting about 6 dry gybes in 4 hours as success! :lol: ) so the biggun (94l) will be for sale if anyone wants it, if not hopefully it will be keeping Keith company this summer!

Rach
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I was at Portland and thought it was quite warm but did not get there until lunchtime and have a very warm Ripcurl flash bomb which lets next to no water in 8)

I took a windsurfer for the first time since September but as I arrived late decided to stick to the dark side as the tide was dropping fast. Was pretty windy and only 2 kites plus quite a few windsurfers out. i ran my 7.0 metre and had a blast for an hour before coming in and getting my GPS - over the next 2 hours I covered 29 miles and hit 31 mph (25.83knots) for my first recorded kite speed runs - it was classic Portland speed conditions - plenty of power to get up wind easily to the new sailing centre then head up wind through the choppy water till it flattened off then bear away along the beach really broad - had one really big stack catching an edge :cry:

Portland wind data was showing lulls at 13knots - average 25knots and guts at up to 38knots or 46 mph 8) - sailing was fine with the kite on full power but getting ashore was entertaining :shock:

I think I would have been close or better than my record if I had taken my Naish but at least I did not have to walk....... Tide did not go any where near as low as expected though and I think many missed a great day - mega ques out of Weymouth as i arrived but no traffic anywhere on the way home this evening :lol:

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord