Sunday 22nd

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Sunday 22nd

Post by Keith S »

If the Portlanders had more wind than the Hamworthyers then they would've been well and truly flattened.
Nomads Keith, Phil S, Ian, Neroli and Graham were there. (and Axel - nearly forgot).
My day:-
Lovely sunshine but not much wind at first so started on JP X-cite 130 and 8.5 Lightning. Got planing in the gusts.
About 1'ish it got windy. Changed down to 7m T3 on the JP but that was much to bouncy a ride. Then tried same sail on 104 Syncro which was much more fun if a bit overpowered at times.
Then some time later a load of rain arrived and the wind died. So time for lunch. Then the wind came back. Then rain and hail. So called it a day.
NOte for Adrian - One kiter.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Thanks for the kite update Keith.

Flattened certainly happened at Portland, did not see any Nomads but launched from the main car park not the boat yard. Only got on the water about 1 and their was no wind and spent some time trying to get the kite to relaunch after an early gybe failure on a surface board. Then the wind kicked in and gradually built up until I was overpowered as learning the surfboard. On going up the pebbles a big squall hit blasting me back into the water forcing me to hit the safety fast. The squall was about 40knots and wiped everyone out big time, the kite I was using tops out at 18 to 20 :roll:

The pattern repeated so I called it quits about 4

An ugly day overall better suited to windsurfing

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Made the leap from the Sailing barge 0.5 to 5mph wind speed
to the Carve 10 to 20mph wind speed, it put a grin on my
face.

Fantastic day at Hamworthy, thanks to Keith, Neroli and Ian for
all the help and tips with rigging and sailing. It's all going in
I'm just finding it a lot to put into practice.

Even made it back in time for brother in laws birthday dinner.
Which has put me firmly on the right side of Ruth, she said I was
a "good boy", praise indeed.

All in all a good day.

Phil
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Our day was similar to Keith''s but we faffed for longer, so by the time we got on the water, we were able to plane easily, a bit too easily on the gusts. We had a good hour or so of this to dust off cobwebs as our first sail of the year. When the wind first kicked in I came ashore considering skipping a sail size & going from 8.6 to 6.0m - I don't think I have ever done that before. In the end I went for the easy option and took Neroli's 7.1m instead. This was great for a few runs but then the sky started getting very dark and I legged it ashore before the squal and hail arrived. We didn't stay around to see if the wind recovered after the squal.
If found, please return to the pub.