Daymer - Oct 6 - 13...

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Daymer - Oct 6 - 13...

Post by MartinF »

...was rather mixed.

Sat 6th - Drove down with all my kit in Nigel's burger van/wendy house. Beautiful day, but little wind. Ian Kennedy went out on his kite in the afternoon. Nigel & I went body-boarding at Polzeath. Drank lots of Arbor Ales Oyster Stout.

Sun 7th. Geoff arrived with damaged ribs and more beer (Coastal brewery Sea King - 5.5%). More body-boarding at Polzeath.

Mon 8th. Good day, but too little wind for me.

Tue 9th. Light SE wind. Spectator sport as Ian's kite parted company from Ian as it had crashed with twisted lines & was dragging him off the beach. With the SE winds & incoming neapy tide, it should have drifted across to Hawkers Cove. Ian gave chase having had his 144l board with 8.5m sail taken down to him on the beach. His kite didn't want to go to Hawkers Cove and was drifting rapidly out of the estuary. Ian almost caught up with it by the red channel marker close to the Doom Bar, but gave up being slightly overpowered & overtired having dropped the rig several times. This was the only time there's been a 2 hour break with no fishing boats going in & out of the estuary. I'd already called the coastguard to advise of the loose kite. When the kite was about 1 1/2 miles offshore, a pleasure fishing boat managed to salvage it and brought it back to Rock sailing club. Saved the day!

Wed 10th. Light winds & cold. Coffee in Tubestation in Polzeath.

Thur 11th - Good wind at last. NW F4-6 on incoming tide. Started off with 6.25m on 112l board, before switching to 5.5m on 86l wave board. Very lumpy over the far side of the estuary: ok heading over there over the backs of the waves, hard work coming back over the wave faces.

Fri 12th - Marginal wind NW backing SW. Aching from yesterday so didn't go out. Good day for kiting & large sails. Bad day for Nigel who had contact lens problems and ended up spending several hours in minor accidents unit at Bodmin. All the beer's gone.

Sat 13th - Quick sail in dropping NW wind with incoming tide before packing up Nigel's burger van & heading home.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.