Weston - Thur 18/4/2013

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

Weston - Thur 18/4/2013

Post by MartinF »

We must have nicked LT's sunshine - especially after about 13:00.

Arrived at HW to a long squall. I'd just started to rig 5.5m sail to go on the new Starboard Quad 82l. Sat out the squall only to find - as is normal after a squall - the wind had dropped a bit. Anyhow, I persisted with my choice and was slightly underpowered most of the time, and completely underpowered the rest of the time. Still, it gave me opportunity to form an opinion of the board. In a word - very easy to sail. Certainly planes much earlier than my much loved JP 78l wave, and possibly on par with my even greater loved 86l Goya wave.

Ian H was there - though I didn't spot him at first. Matt - the slacker - arrived later & therefore made a far better choice of kit!

I don't remember there being so much mud further out?? Seriously messy walking back in.

Not a bad day for the first sail since last Oct. And the sun shone (LT).
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Re: Weston - Thur 18/4/2013

Post by Matt »

I got there just in time to catch the tail end of the squall, which was a bit of a surprise after the dry drive down. Also after the forecast predicting 25 gusting 40mph I was even more surprised to find the usual suspects standing around shaking their heads bemoaning a lack of wind. Wandered along the beach with Martin to say hello to IanH who was packing up after arriving early and now claiming to be cold.

Anyway as the sky was clearing there was clearly potential so after talk of rigging 5.7 I settled on 6.5 on the Naish 110. Got on the water at 1pm and I was up and planing straight away. Had a really good sail for 3/4 of an hour playing on the little waves and doing some gybe and jump revision. Then the wind eased a bit and went into up and down mode but I stayed out for another hour or so to tease out some more decent runs before packing up in another lull and before the walk got too long. Stood around in the lovely sun for a bit chatting while noticiing one sailor still out and happily planing around. I later discovered he was on similar kit to me so that made me think I'd packed up too early, especially as the neapy (8.5m) tide meant the walk hadn't got much worse. Oh well, it was just great to be back out on the water in the sun again. I didn't find the mud too bad and even the water wasn't quite as cold as I'd been expecting although you wouldn't want to hang around in it too long. :D
Should've been here yesterday.