Windy Weekend

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

Windy Weekend

Post by Adrian » Sun Oct 20, 2013 18:31

Went to Portland on Saturday and kited - very little wind when I arrived and Southerly - windsurfers on 8.0+ so I went for a 15.0 kite - was soon overpowered then very overpowerd and changed down to a 10.0 as now 20 knots and the wind switched to westerly - this was about 4.00pm - tide was ok for windsurfers except a short period around 4.00pm.

Today i had to meet someone at Hill Head but wind was agaiun Southerly not SW as forecast so coming over the IOW and very gusty with windsurfers planning for a few minutes then not planning for 15 mins etc - A thunderstorm came through early afternoon bring plenty of wind, horizontal rain reducing visibilty to a couple of hundred yards and of course thunder and lightning so the water cleared rapidy apart from one kite and a couple of windsurfers :???: Wind died completely when the rain passed over so a pretty rubbish day.

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Re: Windy Weekend

Post by Graham_U » Mon Oct 21, 2013 13:41

Got up reasonably early and made it down to Hamworthy around 10-30, and it was blowing hard dead on shore and the high tide making it very rough, several guys huddled round the beach huts, but no one rigged up. General consensus was it was blowing 5.5, but the lulls were more 6.5 so I rigged a 6M with the Kombat 97.

Neil B turned up just as I was taking my kit over to the beach about. So we spent a while chatting before I finally advanced to the wet stuff by which time a couple of others had made it out. The first couple of runs were OK, but with the wind on-shore we were blocked by the harbour wall so runs were short. Probably just as well as on the next run the wind dropped and it turned into a wobble, so after falling in on the turn it took me ages to waterstart. After getting back to the launch area I waited for he wind to pick up which combined with the first shower of the day.

This set the tone for the next hour or two. The heavier the rain the more the wind, then it would drop as the rain cleared. I had to abort several runs as it was getting too painful. So after a repeat experience when the next couple of showers I got out the Rocket to avoid getting stranded, swiching boards depending on conditions, which worked well as the the tide had dropped and the water calmed down.

Neil only had his 99LVeloce which was a struggle in these condition and decided to call it a day around 2pm (which turned out to be a bad move). As usual I was determined to make the most of the day and as the wind had swung round a bit to I took the Rocket to see what the the channel was like. There was a little more wind out there, but still a bit marginal. But after a little break the wind and sun came together and having sagged out my 6M to make the most of it( other were rigging 7-8M), I had a pleasant hour and half planning most of the time and actually making some progress on planning out of the gybe.
Graham

Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 19:30

Strange sort of day. I chose Newton as a closer and drier option with good wind forecast so made an early'ish start hoping to get some sailing in both sides of the springy low tide for a change.

The ‘sunny side’ myth seemed to be true for once as it had come out just as I crossed the bridge and when I arrived 4 or 5 windsurfers were already out, planing on 6m sails towards Ogmore in the sunshine. However, it then dawned on me that the wind was more southerly than forecast and, as of course everybody knows, Newton is in a wind hole in a southerly. Sure enough the wind then disappeared, so I then spent quite a bit of time chatting, wandering around and eating my lunch. Thoughts of a skunking appeared. Strolled down to Trecco point in the sun, took some photos and noticed that it seemed to be picking up. It was still low tide though and watching Kelvin lose his fin on the rocks didn't exactly encourage us to race out there. But after a few more minutes I decided the time had come so rigged my 6.5 on the Naish Koncept 110.

It was getting on for 3pm by the time I launched but it was then actually excellent for an hour and a bit, nicely powered up and with good waves on the pushing tide. What's more it was sunny and warm, in fact I was almost overheating in my winter suit. I think I only dropped a couple of gybes in that time too, helped by the floaty board. Had some great runs down the waves and the kit was feeling really good. It was too good to last though, and the wind eventually dropped and never really came back again so packed up after a bit more waiting and chatting. So a bit disappointing overall and not very efficient time usage but at least it had been really good for a while, and the rain held off too. :)
Should've been here yesterday.

Ian H
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Ian H » Tue Oct 22, 2013 19:13

Portland - Sunday

It sounds like my choice of going to Portland was the right decision. 5.8m perfect all day except when a storm blew through for about 20 minutes when a 3.5m would have been about right.

J & L were there, in fact they had been there since Friday.

Quite warm despite some rain. A really good day and well worth the long drive.

Loz
beach starter
beach starter

Post by Loz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 20:04

Ian on Sunday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.