First sail of the year

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian
surf god
surf god

First sail of the year

Post by Adrian » Wed Jan 15, 2014 13:05

Last Sunday saw me making the trek down to Portland on quite a good forecast and not too cold at 9 to 10 degrees predicted for the afternoon. On arrival at the boatyard Weston regulars Bob and Lesley were in attendance with the temperature showing 7 to 8 degrees and it feeling bitterly cold in the flukey gusty Southerly wind whch was going from about 10 to 23 mph. Windsurferes were planing one run then off the plane and so on with most choosing about 7.5 to get through the lulls. One kite was on the beach with the guy having it fall out of the sky and then getting into the channel where he had to swim out. Along with a number of windsurfers I decided to watch for a bit - wind range extended to 8 to 25 mph so I went for an early lunch then spotted one kite doing okay - not better than that so rigged my 10.0 varial and went out to find not enough power in the lulls to get going but the kite was breaking up in the gusts - so I changed to my 10.0 Rally :lol: to see the difference and now i could get going just in the lulls and handle the gusts ok but had to keep a very careful eye on an evil looking storm east of the harbour. In the end it passed through without hitting but as the only kite out at this point I wanted to be careful - in the end an ok session but perhaps not worth the drive except it looks like I was first Nomad on the water for 2014 - temperature by late afternoon had also improved to 10 degreess so changing was ok.

Happy New Year to all Nomads and hope to see you on the water soon.

Cheers
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord