Tuesday 8th April Weston

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Tuesday 8th April Weston

Post by PhilipS »

Weston Windsurfers I salute you.
How do you do that.
Best I managed was 100 meters and that's being generous.
Matt, 'friendlier conditions' it feels like it's coming at you from every direction.
Sue, you're right about the fit part, I was exhausted after 5mins, I'll have to find something to keep me fit through the winter.

Some good bits though.
Managed half a dozen water starts (both feet, sorry Keith I am trying).
Got me back on/in the water and oddly feeling quite positive.
I've been through a very thorough cold wash cycle, I must be nice and clean now.

Cheers
Phil
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Re: Tuesday 8th April Weston

Post by Graham_U »

Phil, Keep with it, you may even enjoy it, so long as you are not trying to sail too big a board there. But until your used to it, and fit, you need to pick your sessions at WSM. I've been sailing their reasonably regularly for over 5 years and whilst not up to the level of Justin, Matt, or Martin et al, I've got to enjoy WSM and it take to a different type of Windsurfing from lakes and harbours but in a reasonably controlled environment. But it does take a lot more fitness and confidence, and most importantly avoid trying to get off the beach inthe washing machine that happens around high tide.

But I've had a couple of sessions like yours where I've been hit by the washing machine and struggled to get off the beach for any distance. The last one was early last year when I'd only had a couple of sessions, and I just could not hold the sail long enough to get through the washing machine to the "calmer" waters beyond. As I've not been out since December, I knew I was not fit enough for the forecast at WSM yesterday so there was not point, so I headed for the south coast.
Graham
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Graham
Thanks, sound advice.

Phil
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Phil - pleased you got out. What time were you there, as I didn't spot you? I arrived about 1.45pm.
Also , sorry I didn't see your write up last night when I added mine, otherwise I'd have tagged onto your post.

A two footed waterstart - sounds quite an advanced manoevre, especially at WSM :shock: :lol: . Keep at it - WSM is a huge learning experience, and you'll get there. It also makes sailing at other places seem much easier , so you'll find your sailing overall improving even if it isn't immediately obvious whilst you are having a rinsing in the Weston mush :D .

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Sue
As silly as it sounds not sure about the time.
Left the house about 10:30am, got halfway to the M5 and realised I had forgotten lucky buoyancy aid and towel.
Second attempt eventually made it (traffic jam in Weston) bursting for the Loo.
A couple of Scooby vans parked next to me and the people who got out looked like they had done Weston before (many times).
Soooo, now I'm all fingers and thumbs, couldn't get hidden inside a wetsuit hood and gloves fast enough especially as one of them had a GOPRO.

I had to do 'The Merry Mud Dance' to reach the water, so I'd gues about 11:45am

Sorry I missed you, after the beeting I took I could have used a friendly shoulder for a little weep.

TTFN
Phil
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Phil

Sounds as though you may have been sailing/ in the water as it approached high tide ... which is not the easiest time. I left it until 1 hour past high tide - then sailed it as it was getting flatter and flatter :-).

I think we have all had our embarrassing moments there. One of mine happened without even getting in the water! On that occassion I should have know that it would be too windy for me, as I couldn't even open the car door. I rigged my smallest sail at the time ( a 4.7) and then really battled trying to walk the kit to the water's edge. Before I got there, the wind flipped my sail around as I was carrying it, and I kind of did an undignified somersault as the sail flipped and I ended up on top of it all! Must have looked a right pillock who had no idea what they were doing ! :roll: Needless to say when I got to the water's edge, I couldn't even hold the sail, let along sail it .. so walked it all back again ! :lol:

It will be easier next time - and well done for trying it out. :D
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

I found my write-up about it ... looks like I did do just a few runs before giving up! :lol:

http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/phpBB/v ... f=7&t=1573

Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Other thoughts - there was a lot of mud there yesterday to wade through on the beach. More than I have seen before.

Also, there used to be gaps in the posts to get your sail/ kit through - but no longer, posts everywhere. Someone kindly carried my kit back over them after my sailing session - otherwise I'd probably have spiked my sail!