Tuesday 8th. Portland

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Tuesday 8th. Portland

Post by Graham_U »

As penance for missing the official trip on sunday, I make a special trip down to Portland to break my duck for the year. Actually I'd been eyeing up the forecast for a trip to Hamworthy since the middle of last week, but the wind forecast had decreased from about 20 mhp to about 14 mph by yesterday morning, where as Portland was offering 3 mph more with sun all day. Although tempted, I didn't fancy the 20mph+ at WSM as a first session.

Based on the forecast I only took the Rocket, and as it happened I only needed the 7.5. The drive down had plenty of unforecasted showers and little wind. I arrived at the beach it was blowing but raining, but soon settle down to a sunny and reasonably warm afternoon. I used my new front loading winter wetsuit for the first time with under thermal vest, new thicker boots and a new pair of marigold, and I must say I was comfortable warm all afternoon, even if a little uncomfortable.

I spent about 3 hours on the water, and very rusty and felt a bit like the Michelin man to start with, but soon got used to it. Once away from the shore it was planning most of the day, after the first couple of turns they pretty much remained dry, if somewhat ropey all session. I must admit to feeling a tad sore this morning, but glad to get a session in and looking forward to the next one.
Graham