WSM Thurs 10/7

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

WSM Thurs 10/7

Post by PhilipS »

Bath time again, amazing how quickly that comes around.
Decided to really pamper myself with a full salt and sand body scrub.
Loaded a good sized bathing platform (safety first) and headed for Weston.
Many others with the same idea, they spent far to much time on their platforms.
I on the other hand made the most of this wonderful natural resource.

Great to see Sue, Graham and Ian.
They are all as ever great company.
Thanks for the treats Ian.

Phil
Sue
surf god
surf god

Re: WSM Thurs 10/7

Post by Sue »

Fantastic sail yesterday - couldn't quite believe how windy it was, and warm. It was a fairly easy decision to go with the 4.2 and wave board, as sand was being blown at head height outside the loos!

Made the long walk out (but at least my small kit was light :D ), and had a great time out in the lumps, bumps,waves, foamy bits and whatever else the sea state threw up. I stopped after the first run (overpowered :roll: ) to increase the downhaul, and I was still slightly overpowered after that.

Lots of Nomads out yesterday - including Ian, Graham, Phil (Ruth came along for support), Greg ..... and few WSM regulars but not that many.

Phil had decided to ignore our advice about the easiest sailing conditions being 3 hours before high tide - venturing into the water just as we were deciding it was becoming tricky close to high tide and coming in! Despite that - he did really well, and we witnessed quite a bit of Phil action on his board out in the waves :)

Ian, having seen the Nomad speed ladder in the latest newletter - was on a mission with his GPS to top the speed table despite strong winds and massive lumps! I'll let Ian break the news on that one :lol: . Talk about red flag to a bull .... :lol:

Overall, a great sail - and yet another fun outing with Nomad friends. 8)

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Ian H
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Ian H »

Thanks Sue, i guess i had better post a reply now.

Really good day for me on a 5m and my 274 Bee. I managed an okayish 28.7 Knots verified by Graham. Managed to steadily increase my speed as i gradually found the fastest areas to sail, trade secret !

Hopefully we have talked Phil into coming earlier, although he did very well at high tide, there is a genuine reason a lot of us get there 3 hours early.

Warm, windy and good company, what more could we ask for. Look forward to next time.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

We did "make" Ian zero his GPS after his first 27 knots reading (... knowing the joker that he is :lol: ) , but then he kept coming back in with faster and faster readings :lol: . Very impressive given the conditions.

Sue :D
Nature playing with windsurfers
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

The third WSM session in 5 days took its toll as I had very little strength left in my arms. Initially rig a 5.3 on the Kombat but after the long walk to the water I was frighting myself in the air and could not hold it in the gybes. So broke the golden WSM rule and wasted the best sailing time by walking back to the car and changing down to a 4.7.

Once on the right kit I had an OK session, then came in for a break. After a while when the washing machine was in full spin cycle I decided to go back out, and found the wind had dropped a little which made it difficult to get through the waves and took several attempts before I got out, turned out by the pier and struggle to get planing on the way back so got washed in and had to walk some of the way back to the car park. although the wind picked up I decided to call it a day.

As well as those mentioned I also saw and spoke with Phil B on a rare outing, one of the experienced Nomads that I looked to for guidance when I first joined. Despite Ian's playing with his GPS I think performance of the day must go to Phil S for his stoic battle with Washing Machine in full cycle with a board so wide that it could double as a spare Aircraft Carrier :D . Sue, Ian and I were watching in awe as he powered through a number of full blooded waves. My recommendation would be get water starting and smaller board, then the fun really starts :wink: , I think that what they call it :shock:
Graham