Sunday 26th.

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob Iles
carve gyber
carve gyber

Sunday 26th.

Post by Bob Iles »

Sorry Gren, I set out but my van broke down before I got out of Bristol. So I did not make Portland today. Hope you had a good session.
Bob
Justin
surf god
surf god

Re: Sunday 26th.

Post by Justin »

Sorry to hear about the van Bob, obviously it didn't want to wait for it's Winter hibernation.
Me and Lorraine had a lucky morning session at Newton, about 2 hours good wind :D . Odd direction for Newton, dead onshore, sailing across to Ogmore and back, nice views with a few lumps to keep it interesting. Wind then turned off completely just before the reefs appeared.
Gren
had a lesson
had a lesson

Post by Gren »

No problem Bob, hope the Van gets well soon.

Boatyard car park was full.

It was a good F4 to 5 and not kit destroying so I left the Screamer in the Van and got out the Eagle. Graham was right about that.
It was one of those rare days when the conditions were perfect for the size of sail and board I had. Flat water blasting with good carve gybe practice. I nailed twice as many fully planing carve gybes as I've previously managed in a single session. Although as I've only ever managed one proper one in any previous session that bar is not very high - but progress is progress. Exhausted I went back in for a rest which was tricky as the wind dropped and it was offshore - ish. I considered rigging my 7.5 but noticed someone had nicked all the water as well as the wind and windsurfers were walking back in from miles out. I figured my arms will be complaining about the weight of cups of tea again tomorrow so I packed up and headed back.
Chatting on the beach there seemed to be a lot of Bristol Students down for the day. There was also lots of kites who don't seem to have a problem losing their fin in 6 inch deep water.

Gren.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

6 inches is a lot more water than you need on a kite :D However I know from experience that doing around 30 mph on a kite in a couple of inches of water can get painful if you have a big wipe out :cry:

I went to Hill Head on the Solent and got their to find no wind - however it filled in around noon and gave a plesant afternoons sailing. Wind arond F4 gusting low 5 and lulls to low 3.... The windsurfers were on 6.5 to 7.5 planninh hard or stationary. On the kite I was able to plane all afternoon but in the lulls it was occasionally tricky keeping the kite in the sky on the turns althogh once moving the apparent wind was enough to make it ok and meant no issues staying upwind.

Adrian
Having fun on the Dark Side

The Dark Lord