Hi to all. Local windsurfing?

The place to chill out & chat about anything on or even off topic. BTW, mine's a pint of something citrusy & hoppy, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Koops
complete beginner

Hi to all. Local windsurfing?

Post by Koops »

Hi all. During this 'summer' I am hoping to do some windsurfing practice after work Mondays - Thursdays and am based in Filton. I am an improver with my own kit who desperately wants to be able to learn to waterstart! I have heard that the lake at Almondsbury is a possibility but have not found anything useful about it on the net e.g. opening times. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Hi Koops, and welcome.

Take my advice with a health warning, as I am biassed against the "lake" in Trench Lane and - in particular - its owner. My knowledge of the place is also many years old, though I have no reason to believe that much has changed.

The pond (aka Almondsbury Mud Pond) itself is only a couple of feet deep on average. In places, you'll be grounding your skeg. The bed of the pond is claggy clay that gets all over your kit and adds nothing to required levels of friction between foot and board.

The sailing is extremely restricted insofar as the pond is only about 200m square(ish).

You'll have to contend with jet skis buzzing around.

You may have to contend with his (the owner's) bizarre sport of "lake golf", whereby paying punters have the privilege of trying to hit golf balls into a bucket on a marooned "island".

Despite years of alleged plans to build a luxury centre with bars, changing rooms, showers, etc, I believe there's still only a wooden hut with leaking roof and no running water for the taps or toilets (yes - honest!).

I don't know of anyone who windsurfs there any more, having been insulted, ripped-off, chased by Alsations, had their kit wrecked by Alsations and randomly deposited lumps of dug-up concrete and tarmac.

I could be completely wrong, and the place could now be a haven, though - if Mike Thompson is still in charge - I suspect not.

If you are brave enough to give it a try, I'd really appreciate an update. TBH, I'm not even sure he allows windsurfing any more.

A couple of links for you...

http://www.ukactiveoutdoors.co.uk/west- ... -park.html
http://triopenwater.co.uk/jetski.html
http://www.westcountrykarting.co.uk/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/aug/2 ... is.uknews2
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
PhilipS
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by PhilipS »

Martin

Me and Ruth went last year, your post is Spot On.

Ruth had her skirt nipped by one of the dogs V Scary.

Phil
Koops
complete beginner

Post by Koops »

Hi Martin and thanks for replying. Doesn't sound like my idea of fun so I will probably give it a miss.
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

Oh I dont know , does'nt sound too bad.

If that is not your scene

what about axminster lake or whatever it's called these days
strikes me as perfect for practise and not too far

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Never tried windsurfing on carpets myself, though Axminster ought to be amongst the best for doing so. Could end up with a few burn rashes though. Come to that, that could happen at the Mud Pond, too.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
dro
surf god
surf god

sorry

Post by dro »

med size lake near cheddar gorge with changing facility

axi something

should be perfect for learning
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

just seen Sue's posting

****************** Axbridge *******************

LT
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Nip over to llandegfedd if you can get over early enough, I understand that open in the evenings, although only done it on weekends. Great lake but facilities a little run down.
Graham