Portland to Overcombe Sunday 23rd?

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Portland to Overcombe Sunday 23rd?

Post by DanO »

Is the Portland to Overcombe club event still on for Sunday 23rd?

Probably a bit ambitious for my ability, but may turn up and sail around the harbour and give support.
Would be interested in details on how far it is, how long its takes, and any hazards, just in case I get a rush of confidence.

What charity is the event for, and what format is the fund raising, have people already got sponsorship etc.

Currently being pulled two ways Sunday between surfing and windsurfing, as I'm itching to try out my new surfboard, but at the moment the forecast probably favour a days windsurfing.

Anyway I don't mind making a small donation for a worthy cause.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Dan

The Portland to Overcombe dash is put back to later in the year and the sunday will be a normal day out at Portland. We have not been able to find a support boat but there is hope later on.

Portland harbour is a great place for all abilities so come down if you can. Viv and I will be there probably from about 11 am.

Cheers
Steve
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Steve
Where are you sailing from? The boatyard? I may make is this time!
Sue
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Yes, from the boatyard. Neroli and I plan to be there. Forecast still looks like planing conditions :-)
If found, please return to the pub.
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

My coincidence, we are camping near Weymouth this weekend so will hopefully see you there.

I've only got the big board and 8.5M sail though.

Cheers,
Carl
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Where do you get these planing conditions from Ian? Windguru is max at 7-10 knots on Sunday, have you got yourself a 15 m sail or a better weather forecast?

I was hoping to go, but not being a great fan of pumping, and only having a max of 7.8m sail its a long way to go in hope rather than expectation. Please give me some better hope.

A couple of links I've found to see what is actually happening down there:

http://www.weather-file.com/%7Eportland/
http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/Environment/ ... ?svid=1011
Graham
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

The forecasts for tomorrow are not looking too good (not the ones I'm looking at anyway). I'm verging on not going now, on the basis of not enough wind - unless someone knows otherwise about tomorrow's wind? Sue
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Car loaded (in the rain :( ) .....Theres bound to be some wind.
See you there

Steve & Viv
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Yep, there was wind. In the pm, planing with an 8.6m, sailing without a wetsuit. :D Haven't had many UK planing sessions where I have been comfortable without a wetsuit 8)
If found, please return to the pub.
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Well, couldn't be botherd to rig up today but had an excellent late afternoon at Portland yesterday. 8.5M on JP Freeride 145, slightly stronger and more consistent than today and classic SW at Portand mode (high tide, glassy flat water close inshore).

Ian seemed to have the best of the conditions today but could be see 'pumping for England'.

Cheers,
Carl
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I was at portland on Saturday but did not see a breath of wind - went out to someone's Cabin cruiser though and had a play on their Jet Bike - bored after about 15 mins then got pulled for speeding by the Harbour Master :oops: Managed to talk my way out by blaming the owner for not explaining the buoys to me :P The Harbour Master then gave him a lecture but he got off as he had checked launching areas with him in the morning and bought the relevant permit :!:

Adrian