WSM - Fri 20/8/2004

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

MartinF
surf god
surf god

WSM - Fri 20/8/2004

Post by MartinF »

Early tide ~ 10:00. Forecast for F2-3, so not really expecting too much, but still hoping to get the remnants of yesterdays stronger wind.

Got to the beach ~ 08:15 - somewhat before the car park attendant. Good to get £4 worth of free parking! I was there, the sun was there, Ollie Daniels even turned up to do his daily, early inspection. The wind wasn't there.

After a natter, I decided to have a wander down to Uphill to check out the recently expanded pond by the marina, while Ollie went to await delivery of a consignment of long lost videos.

Apparently, the pond is now available for windsurfing. I asked at the chandlery: I got the feeling they'd prefer people to book lessons through Mendip Outdoor Pursuits, but they didn't say that one person can't teach another privately. You need to book in advance, & slot in between all the other users. Cost is £4/session (I think that's about 3 hrs). The pond is very small, but is apparently only waist to chest deep.

Anyhow, I got back to my car at about 10:00: Still only about F2. Decided to go out anyway & mess about. I've needed to practise short board tacks & heli-tacks for yonks, so here's the chance to try it in light winds.

I rigged up 6.2m sail on the Fanatic Cross 110 & sallied forth. I practised on dry land - easy. I practised on the water - useless. I practised on dry land - easy. I practised on the water - useless. Notice a pattern? I eventually start nailing a couple of tacks on the water, but heli-tacks. No-way. The really upsetting thing is - I used to be able to do these ok. Admittedly on a long board, though. I spent a couple of windless days on a Guy Cribb course in Ireland practising tacks, heli-tacks, sail 360's, boomerangs, and many, many other things; none of which I can do any more!

Still playing in the shallows, I actually caught a slight gust & got briefly on the plane at 11:55 precisely. From 12:20 onwards, I was planing solidly & pulling off most of my tacks. Amazing how having a bit of speed helps. At least, I was pulling off most of the port to starboard tacks. I buggered up most starboard to port tacks. I keep leaning the rig too far back and/or running off the front of the board.

By 13:30, the land was receding rapidly & the mud was getting slimier. I managed to sail back right to the water's edge by sailing backwards & then had a mere 1/2 mile walk back to the car.

Not a hugely windy day, but very enjoyable and satisfying all the same. I was also pretty wrecked for the rest of the day!

MartinF
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Flexed Friday Morning off work and went to the cotswold water park, my local lake. It not that big, but at least the water doesn't disappear and the mud normally has a coating of water over it.

Using my old Techno 283 (well I have no choice) and BIC Logic 7.8 I was planning for some of most of the runs time between about 11 and 2-pm. Wind still good, in fact getting stronger when I had to pack up and go to work. How tempted was I to stay, well it was very close.......
Graham