Ashton Court for Beginners - Saturday 15th Jan

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Ashton Court for Beginners - Saturday 15th Jan

Post by Viv Powell »

Well they've only gawn and done it! Chris and Gerry have purchased themselves a couple of steeds :D :D . Chris a Carrera Kraken+ and Gerry a GT Pantera.

Steve and I will be joining them for an inaugural ride this Saturday at Ashton Court, starting at around 13:00 in the car park in front of the House.

We are expecting to be riding on the major roads and wider trails to give them a chance to get used to such new fangled devices as gears, disk brakes and front suspension :wink: .

All welcome - hope to see you there

Viv
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Viv, there's some work being done on the Ashton Gate trails this weekend - http://pub49.bravenet.com/forum/4194038 ... ch/423660/. I've no idea what sort of disruption this may cause (probably very little, I expect).

Have a good time.

I'm in touch with the Gloucester MBC & may see about doing a ride with them on Sun.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
gerrys
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by gerrys »

:oops: Yep - we've gone and done it. Just need some energy and new skills to negociate all these crazy obstacles.......? like roads...

Hopefully see a few of you there with Steve and Viv - if anything for a laugh.....
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Neroli and I should see you there.

Cheers,
Ian.
If found, please return to the pub.
steve powell
wave rider
wave rider

Post by steve powell »

Excellent :D
I will learn to carve! (and jump)
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Fun, very muddy ride round Ashton Court this afternoon, very well done to Chris & Gerry for tackling the mud which was far from easy at times. 8) Riding the bomb holes in these conditions was a very good effort for a first attempt.

Had a wee fall in the car park playing around :lol: before we started when I didn't realise I had clipped into my cleats, so didn't try to get out of them as it all went horribly wrong. Didn't hurt myself as I landed on my side and all was well. Or so I thought. All was well, until I sat in the driver's seat to come home. Must have somehow caught my coccyx in the fall. God it hurts to sit down at the moment :oops: :oops: Not looking forward to the journey up to the boat show tomorrow unless there is a dramatic improvement!

P.S. Neroli, aka Zebedee, loves the bounce in her new forks
If found, please return to the pub.
Viv Powell
wave jumper
wave jumper

Post by Viv Powell »

Very enjoyable ride :D , exceedingly sloppy in places, but both Chris and Gerry did really well (talk about baptism by fire - its not usually that bad guys honest). For Chris to be riding the trail round the wall at the end when she started the ride saying "ok which lever does what" was just amazing, well done both 8) .

Ian I did the same thing to my coccyx while snowboarding, so have a great deal of sympathy :( . Something that really helped me while travelling was to sit on one of those neck pillows that you use while flying, sounds silly but it really worked for a very long train journey from Meribel to London. I'll bring one along tomorrow, it may help on the way home at least.

Viv
gerrys
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by gerrys »

What a create day! :lol: Thanks a lot to Steve, Viv, Ian and Neroli for taking Chris and I around Ashton Court for a bike ride, we thoroughly enjoyed it. We were a little perplexed to see that the promised tarmac disintegrated into this strange slushy stuff that seemed to stick itself to everything, including our spanking new bikes, needless to say they didn't look new for very long. One strange thing though, for some reason everytime I came off the bike at some obstacle someone had planted a Holly bush which I just happened land in backside first and much to Steve's amusement. But then thanks to Steve for extricating me from the said bushes, if a little embarassed because its quite difficult getting out of Holly bushes....... A little later on I happened to mention to Viv this fact, and that there seemed to be a preponderance of Holly bushes near obstacles, she said what Holly bushes? Later I heard her say from some distance in front, "Oh you're right, heres one!". Luckily both Viv and I managed to avoid that one. :P

Still a great day's cycling for relative beginners, and yes we will be doing it again. :D :D :D :D :D