Flaming June

Ok - Windsurfing it isn't. This is the mountain bikers splinter group for when the wind don't blow!

Moderator: Moderators

NigelP
surf god
surf god

Flaming June

Post by NigelP »

Anyone up for a ride this weekend? I have not used my bike for weeks.

I assume the going is likely to be wet to soggy.

The Welsh trails dry quickly, but are closer to the rain/front coming in from the West. I am open to suggestions.
Windsurfers do it standing at the bar
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

sounds good 2 me as wind is not showing this wkend .

So wheres the hardcore going :?:
forget dreaming "its time to loop"
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
Al Donald
surf god
surf god

Post by Al Donald »

Saturday should be dry all day, whilst Sunday wet. One lap of Cwmcarn would be enough for me (also not been on the bike for ages). Is the new centre open yet?
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Kelvin

I am afraid I am more soft core than hardcore. :cry:

However, I would love to discover some of the off piste sections you have mentioned at Cwm Carn, if there is sufficient interest from others.

Either day would be OK for me, although as Al says, Saturday is probably the drier option.

Nigel

PS The new centre is not due to open until Sept/Oct time I think
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

I'd definitely be up for a Cwmcarn-like jaunt on the morrow.

Whilst I like the idea of having Kelvin lead us astray, some of the stuff he's keen on doing may strech me way beyond my limits. But then - I won't know unless I try. :shock:

As far as I can tell, there's little likelyhood of rain Sat or Sun(until later).

How about meeting up in the car park at 10:00 in the morning?
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

10 am sounds good to me .
xc route still dry (been there 2day)..
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

I will be traveling with Martin. See you there

Nigel
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Hope to be there.

Adrian
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

alright guys glad you all made it ok .
hope the guy that had the off is ok , feel a little guilty that that run down may have been a bit to stiff , but its not always easy to judge other riders abillity .
Think most managed ok though .
Weather stayed nice dry and sunny , but a bit of cooling brezze would have been welcome as it was very warm climbing up .
Rest of route went ok though with the xc course running very dry and grippy from the top down .
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk
spinout
carve gyber
carve gyber

Post by spinout »

Hi Kelvin,

Good to meet you today and thanks for showing us the 'off piste' section.

I had a great ride but feeling a bit cream crackered now.

I keep promising myself I'll be braver on the freeride section - maybe next time!

Cheers,
Carl
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Kelvin, I'm glad to report my neck's not broken, just a touch of whiplash according to the man in A&E. He's given me some pills.

It was a stupid 'off' really, I took completely the wrong line on that off camber rooty bend, and ended up tumbling down the bank with a slow motion head over heels that did my neck. A shame that it brought my ride to an abrupt end especially as it was just before a good bit of trail. There's no way I could have carried on though, driving home was hard enough.

Glad you all enjoyed the rest of the ride.
Neroli
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by Neroli »

Ouch! :cry:

Hope your neck recovers quickly.

Ian and I squeezed in a much tamer road ride before he had to dash off to catch a plane. Sounds like you had some fun though (ignoring the fall).
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Matt,

glad your ok, the groups injury rate is a bit firightening considering the level we ride at :???:

Kelvin,

Thanks good ride. For those not present Kelvin rides a 45lb Kona and still creamed us on the climbs :oops:

Adrian
NigelP
surf god
surf god

Post by NigelP »

Kelvin, thanks. A great off piste section, which I look forward to trying again. It makes Cwn Carn into a more satisfying ride (although my fitness left a lot to be desired. As Adrian kindly reminded me, it was probably down to old age :cry: and not just good living)

The Fugawi file is attached, for all those who want to give it a go. The jumps on the bottom section all have chicken runs. The map shows a 12 mile route, with a 3,550 ft climb and a 2,700 ft descent. Not sure where the missing 850ft went to, but it confirms my suspicion that we do more climbing than descending.

Matt. It looked bad at the time and I hope you recover quickly. Hope you are getting some tlc at home. I did not mention in my bike maintenance log, my osteopath's bills. However, they can work wonders.

Adrian. I wonder what you have in mind when you say "the groups injury rate is a bit frightening considering the level we ride at". Do you think it should be higher? :o

Is there a decent mechanic out there somewhere? Having replaced the whole drive chain inc. cables (and after played with cable tension) I am still suffering from chain skipping. Frustration is an understatement :cry: :cry: :cry: Any polite ideas?

The day lived up the Flaming June hopes and given the rain earlier in the week the trails were remarkably dry

A great day, thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kelvin
surf god
surf god

Post by kelvin »

NigelP wrote:
The Fugawi file is attached, for all those who want to give it a go.

A great day, thanks
what do you do with the file :oops:
what prog opens etc :oops: :oops: :oops:

i,m olde style , paper maps etc :roll:
kel www.winsurfing.co.uk