Timid Treat

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dro
surf god
surf god

Timid Treat

Post by dro »

Lady T has decided in her wisdom and generosity to buy me a new bike for xmas and byrfday.
Personally I am very happy with Martin's reject which has just had a service and seems to be ticking along nicely.

However Lady t has spoken and deep down I am a little bit excited.

I have ridden the newer versions of the Garry fisher hoo kee coo kee or whatever it's called and rather like it so tempted to buy one

BUT dear friends ,fans and general hangers on I would love to have your "expert" opinions regarding thr choice of my new pressie
Around the £800 to £1K, hardtailed with usual rechargable battery

If the battery takes above price limit so be it , will have to do without the pedals.

I realise it is a bit down market for most of you but I am sure you know someone who swims at this sort of level and can pick their brains.

Sorry Martin your reject and I are still in a very close and stable relationship BUT directive from MD of Timid and sons.

We must part

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Hi LT, as you're feeling neglected I thought I'd chip in, especially as I've got a magazine (May 2010 What Mountain Bike) which has a 'Hardtail Supertest' covering 12 bikes in range £900-1200.

Top 3 were :

1. Genesis Core 50 at £1200. 'Light, responsive and with a tackle anything capability, the Core 50 is a classic UK bike and a clear winner'

2. Marin White Line £900 - 'Sweet singletrack handling and infectious enthusiasm create a killer ride for the price'

3. Gary Fisher X Caliber £1200 - 'Outstanding smoothness, traction and speed make it a clear winner for wheels on the ground XC work'. NOTE this one's got 29inch wheels, not your regular 26inch.

The Boardman Pro at £1000 is also right up there and you can get from Halfords. 'Astonishing lightweight speed and kit value thats perfect for racing and mile eating - but not a trail bruiser'.

Dunno where you get the others from, Google them. The Genesis is British I believe.

WARNING - no mention of batteries anywhere.

Anyway, hope you like the jargon, if you want some more, there's plenty more in the individual reviews.
dro
surf god
surf god

thanks

Post by dro »

thanks Matt all tips welcome would like to keep it under £1k but very tempting
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Matt,

You seem to be missing the point surely LT is only interested in the colour :lol:

Is red as effective as on Windsurfing sails :roll: OR is another colour more suited to MTB's :P

These seem the real issue for a man of LT's reputation and standing (falling in the Rugby club by his own admission :twisted: )

Adrian

PS On one do some cracking deals if you want to look at irrelevant details like handling and kit etc :wink:
dro
surf god
surf god

ok then

Post by dro »

I suppose secondary characteristics such as weight, handling,kit,reliability etc are of some interest once one has established the colour of the gift'

BUT the colour is a GIVEN so these minor details might come into consideration;
Therfore many thanks Adrian for your kind consideration

Still not really sure what to do. Eventually will have to go cap in hand to local dealer for repair or service and i am sure will get a better welcome if I have bought the bike there.

But I presume that if I can give them the make and type of bike that I want they can then get hold of it.
Rather than buying somwhat cheaper and risking their wrath.They do tend to sulk with externaly sourced bikes

Ah well it is rather a nice problem

Keep suggestions and advice coming

All help welcome

LT (the red)
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Funny you should mention On One Adrian, it should have been me really 'cos of this:

Unfortunately they haven't got red ones but there is 'Deep Pink', which is close. I'm sure that would go down well at the Cydwelli rugby club.... :D
dro
surf god
surf god

nice one

Post by dro »

lovely picture Matt
with some really nice stone work unfortunately some silly sod put a bike in the way.

LT