Cheap or Cheaper

The place for discussions on what piece might fit where, where to buy it from, how to fit it, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Cheap or Cheaper

Post by Graham_U »

Having followed the debate started by Matt about hard or soft tails, on bikes that seem to cost about as much as all my windsurfing kit and bikes put together, I have a more basic desire. I bought my road bike back in 2000 as a special treat for the extravagant sum of just over £500 :shock: :!:

For me that is the top end of any price range, none of my motor bikes were that expensive!

What I'm actually looking for is the minimum you need to pay to get a bike that won't fall to bits if it leaves the tarmac? cheaper the better.

Some of you know my no-risk philosophy on off road riding when I've been on a Neilson holiday, which will give you an idea of the extent it is like to be used, but I would like the option of occasionally going off road. My road bike broke 4 spokes on the End to End ride and is does not even like cycle paths :???:

Although I know a little about road bikes, I know almost nothing about off-road bikes, which would make second hand

Also can anyone explain how to calculate frame size for these beasts. :?:
Graham
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Graham,

There's some interesting advice to be found on this website:

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/beginners_mtb_faq.html

:D

Lots of other good stuff on there too.

Matt
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Graham,

If you want to stay cheap stick with a hard tail especially if youy just intend to do light trails. Most ranges have something reasonable + plenty of prior year models are available

Adrian
dro
surf god
surf god

xpert help

Post by dro »

I have a blue bike and my son has a grey one
my bike has no suspension cheap and very easy to maintain but hell to ride downhill on rocks .
son's bike has front suspension much better down hill and disk brakes which he likes but pitches me over the front (in fact last time he rode it he broke his clavicle)

But I still think a red bike is best
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Which part of the brake is a clavicle :oops:

Adrian
dro
surf god
surf god

answer