Cold Knapp Sunday

What Nomadic events are coming up. Also, if anyone's planning a non-Nomadically-arranged trip and/or looking for others to join in.

Moderator: Moderators

dro
surf god
surf god

Cold Knapp Sunday

Post by dro »

I note an official trip is on the cards next Sunday and despite not having ventured out in Britain since July there is a strange stirring in the Timid loins to head East.
So despite a raging tooth ache, a cold ,cold heart (and the rest of me) and the ravages of old age I might end up packing my bestest wollen cap and waterproof pullover and join you there.
Any excuses to opt out would be greatfully received , otherwise might see you Sunday

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Neroli, Axel and I are "may be"s for Sunday....
If found, please return to the pub.
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hello - I'm thinking of it too. It's looking a few degrees cooler on that side of the water than the south coast though .. !

I may do Axbridge on Saturday as well.

Sue
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

I'm a definite maybe for Sunday. Newton might be a good choice too and probably the same travelling time for me.

BTW Met Office currently saying S Wales and S Coast both 14degC so no excuses there. Boiling.

Of course there's Saturday first which could provide some 'interesting' sailing especially in the morning. Any plans anyone?
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

I have a pass for tomorrow Saturday, but Sunday would tax the diplomatic skills of ... a very diplomatic being from the planet Diplomaticon IV.

Plus, I am getting a bit rusty at this windsurfing lark.

Can't I just go out on the mountain bike instead :oops:
Alistair
Keith S
wave rider
wave rider

Post by Keith S »

Only 5 of us at the pub last night. Not much interest in Sunday. I have to go to London so no fun on the water for me. :cry:

P.S. Neroli - I have RIP back from Neil
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

I'm still keen for a bit of Cold Knapp tomorrow - hope others are too?

What time is anyone planning to arrive there? My checking of tide times shows low tide at 12.00(ish) midday, and the info on locations says that it's possible to sail there 2-3 hours either side of low tide. Is this right? Am a lttle wary about it following Ian and Neroli's tales of it being possible to be swept around a headland as the tide comes in :shock:

Hope to see a few familar faces there tomorrow.

Have loaded the car and off to Axbridge now. I suspect I'll find it far too windy for my kit though - you have to give it a go though :D
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Kelvin,

What location looks good on the sunny side for Sunday?

Adrian

PS Sailing WSM sat afternnon - as it looks like its nukin 2 hours should be enough :lol:
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

Sue

I have only sailed there once and seemed o.k.
that was the amazing weekend course that i went on where I learnt the really useful tips "stand tall" and " try not to fall"
Brilliant !!! really good value for money

Anyway seemed o.k from 11am until 4 pm which as you say was 3hrs around low tide

The best place to check is on the Barry Winsurfer's site cos Knapp and Newton are their home bases.

http://winsurfing.co.uk/snitz/default.asp

I hope to get there about 12 (can not face getting up early)

You can not miss me I will be wearing a red carnation on my wetsuit and whistling excerpts from from the Mikado while standing next to my Rolls Royce estate trying to keep warm

Lt
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Hi Dro
I'm still planning to go along, and aim to get there 10.30 ish to make the most of low tide.
Think we have met before at Axbridge - I'll look out for someone with turned up trousers .. :wink:
See you tomorrow.
Sue
MartinF
surf god
surf god

Post by MartinF »

Cold Knap on an incoming tide, with wind in same direction is not a clever place to be.

It's only forecast to be F4, and with 6 knots of current, you are really going to struggle to stay upwind - and that's if you can get planing.

Newton beach at Porthcawl is a far more sensible option, although I expect there will be big waves after today's winds.
It's an ill wind that never blows at all.
Richard
surf god
surf god

Post by Richard »

Huw, when did you trade the Phantom in for the estate ? may have been interested in an exchange on the S60, any way, take care tomorrow, wind looking quite promising, Richard
Sue
surf god
surf god

Post by Sue »

Following MartinF's comment (thanks for alerting Dro and me to this, Martin) who is officially in charge of our official day out tomorrow?

Should we continue/ abort/ goes elsewhere? I've not sailed over the bridge before and would like to sail with people who know the conditions. Seems to be lack of interest / and not v much communication at the moment - it's not (late edit; "that") cold either, I was (surprisingly) v warm out at Axbridge today...

So what's happening please?

Sue
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Good question(s).

Who's in charge? No one, it's a consensus thing I reckon.

Knap or Newton? I favour Newton I think since I've had a couple of good sails there lately and the current thing seems less of an issue. I see opinion is also split amongst the locals on Kelvin's site. A start time around 1030 sounds about right.

S.Wales looks like it'll be as windy as anywhere else and for me is closer than S Coast. High tide is a bit late at WSM.

I'll be checking the forecast before setting off.
dro
surf god
surf god

difficult decision

Post by dro »

reading the barry boys' forum they are also undecided between Cold Knapp and Newton.
All seem agreed that relatively early start advisable so looks as if I will have to get up at some ungodly hour (i.e.before 11)
Not sure what to say regarding venue
Probably worth checking both web sites first thing tomorrow and give me a ring on o7974oo8sixo9.
I am afraid the voice on the other side will be somewhat confused and muffled ,one cos still asleep and two I will have a carnation stuck in my mouth.
By the way my wetsuit has no turnups, but is double breasted with two sets of buttons (not the most elegant or fashionable but suitable for most formal occasions)

Lt