Wind arrived (in bucket loads) in time for the speed trial

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Wind arrived (in bucket loads) in time for the speed trial

Post by Ian Long »

Yesterday's speed trial blew its socks off :D

Too windy to set up a proper speed course so GPS recordings were the order of the day with the Nomadic speed record falling several times during the day.

Results have been updated here
If found, please return to the pub.
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

Not bad Ian, 31kts on a wave board? :)

Or was it a secret weapon slalom board custom painted with wave board graphics?
Alistair
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

What was surprising is that between all of us we were using a large variety of board type, fin, sail size and yet there was very little difference between our times.

Think I am right in saying that we were all scared silly flying down the course as control was very elusive at times - although it was very gust dependent and a couple of times we came off the plane on the speed runs.

Now have huge respect for the people who fly down the courses at 45knt+ They must have balls the size of elephants with the delicate footwork of a ballerina and the reflexes of a fighter pilot. Needless to say I haven't and ended up catapulted and hooked in under my sail after one lapse in concentration.
If found, please return to the pub.
gerrys
chop hopper
chop hopper

Post by gerrys »

Well done all those that made it to Portland! I'm afraid I chickened out when the temperature in the morning in Portishead was 4deg, the car and the trailor were ready - honest. The wind stats look pretty awesome.

I publish here the weather stats from the met office for your benefit.

Congratulations to the holder of the new club speed record!

Gerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wind is an Illusion, Windsurfing doublely so....!
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Well, that was an interesting session. I didn't actually sail that much in comparison with a normal day out but each run was pretty intense. Sailing towards the Bill wasn't that pleasant, bouncing overpowered over the chop while not trying to lose much ground downwind. But coming back on the speed course was a different ballgame altogether and something I'd not really experienced before.

Travelling the best part of a mile over flat water at those sort of speeds takes a bit of getting used to anyway but.... when you're also overpowered in gale force gustiness while bearing away all the time to avoid hitting the beach it does tend to focus the mind.

I quite fancy another go now. :evil:

I took a few photos later so here's two to give a flavour (not Nomads). I've also got a couple of short movie clips but I don't know how to share 'em.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matt on Wed Nov 12, 2008 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
DanO
beach starter
beach starter

Post by DanO »

Had a go but shamed to say, I didn't stay on long enough to get a decent run. :oops:
Way too much for me, maybe I'll do better next time.
Very impressive show by the others, and still enjoyed the day, and the cake.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

Glad to hear that such experience guys as Ian and Matt were unnerved by the conditions, it scared the willies out of me at time, especially when it threw in the odd lull to really confuse you :???: Mind you with my 36cm. fin I had no trouble going up wind, it was down wind I had trouble with :shock:

I think I've been out in that type of wind before, but not after such a long period off the water. Had a few good runs on the orange peril Techno e 112 with a 4.7, probably close as fast as I ever gone, but never felt confident to do anything other than get to end and deliberately dump myself in the wetstuff.

But it all ended in tears on the last run when I was looking to come in to change down. As I bared away to avoid the people standing near the launch area, something went wrong and I had one almighty 180 degree catapult! :oops: Probably the fastest I've ever managed that, ended up the other side of the boom, luckily having hung on long enough to avoid the nose of the board, before being swung by the harness line.

But initial relief soon turned into despair as things seemed decided out of focus. My glasses, tied on with two ties didn't stop when I did. After a couple of minutes I had located them on the bottom, but holding on to the rig I couldn't reach. I tried letting go of the rig and diving, but with the wetsuit and harness I was just too buoyant. After 4 attempts I gave up as my kit was heading out to sea at a rate of knots. Took a fair effort to catch it.

Closer inspection showed I'd completely ruined the harness line with the rope hanging from one side with the adjustable buckle disintegrated, on the other the webbing loop had been torn when the rope pulled free with all the stitches along one side of the sleeve burst open. After a swim out to try to find the glasses I did contemplate bodging things, and rigging the 4.2, even got it out of the car, but I'd lost my enthusiasm.

It was about then that Ian offer me the GPS :evil:
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

wow

Post by dro »

Would definately have failed the deck chair test !!

Not a Nimid's sort of day Graham !!!!

Enjoy Antigua and let me know how it went

LT
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

I have only attempted to go that fast a few times before having only seen the conditions that good - ie strong wind and flat water close to the beach, each time the same problems a windless zone half way down the run and the occasional luff at high speed straight towards the bank. Like everyone it was funny going from almost diaster flat out to off the plane :!:

Considering the diversity of Kit it was as Ian has said amazing how close the speeds were, I certainly would have liked some smaller kit to experiment with in fin size and differing sail sizes. Certainly would not have wanted to be on a 36cm fin - respect to Graham. Felt more speed was available to me if I could get the control however in all my runs above 36mph control was a problem and i think I would have prefered to be in the seat harness I had left at home. I suspect this would have been more beneficial than kit changes. I was running a 29cm blade which is fast but a smaller skeg might have helped stay in stance bearing away as I was constantly being pulled into a beginners gorilla stance which once your in is impossible to rectify without slowing up.

Incredibly tiring for the small amount of runs and whilst I was finding t he gybing easy enough they were so fast and wide too much ground was lost down wind so I just luffed up hard and dropped in for a rest on most runs.

Respect to the real speed sailors including old hand Bob Cunningham who were on big speed sails with luff tubes wider than their boards and leeches floopy almost to the luff :lol: My fastest run was following him and I just tracked him almost up the beach and then bearing away when he did although he did seem to be pulling away comfortably.......

Adrian
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Maybe this link to one of my little vids will work..... Speedy Bloke

Aha! Cracked it! Here's another. See how far the spray goes.

Also I've worked out how Kelvin does it with the photos.