Quite chilly and just about worth it WSM Sunday 21st

Tell us all about what kind of day/ weekend/holiday you had.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
surf god
surf god

Quite chilly and just about worth it WSM Sunday 21st

Post by Matt »

A breezy forecast with 'mild' temperatures and high tide at 1330 tempted me to WSM. Arrived just after 11 to find Justin and a couple of others rigging up. Not looking too windy and tide still quite a long way out so I put the kettle on first, keeping an eye on Justin the guinea pig.

Others then started arriving including quite a few familiar faces including Ian & Neroli and AlastairJ so enough Nomads to call it an away day. After greetings all round the wind was still looking up and down so I settled for the 6.5 and 112 litre board for a bit of float.

Hit the water only to confirm the wind shortage although on the second run back in I managed to get planing on the waves. Stopped to let off some downhaul and bag the sail out a bit, which was better but wind was definitely lacking. Pottered around a bit more with bouts of occasional planing but at least there was just enough wind to waterstart, which was just as well since it didn't pay to hang around in the water too long. I also bagged the sail out even more so it was almost on the boom. By half one I was on the point of packing up like most of the others but while having a chat the wind seemed to fill in a little so I followed them back out. Hey presto I was suddenly quite nicely powered up and started making dry gybes too so the session was suddenly transformed. I had another 20 minutes or so until I started feeling cold and a bit knackered.

So at least it was good to finish the session (year?) off on a bit of a high and yet again at WSM it was worth hanging on a bit as things improved after high tide. A couple were still out planing as I drove away.
:D :D

PS Apparently it had been 5.5 weather yesterday which was when I'd originally planned to sail, but I 'd been dragged into work instead!

PPS Must remember to bag the sail out a lot again when needed, it still handled OK and made a big difference to power.
Adrian
surf god
surf god

Post by Adrian »

Can confirm the opinion on yesterday, I have medical issues again so should not be sailing. decided to go anyway but late to ensure I could not be tempted into going beyond 2 hours. A couple of guys told me they were well powered up on 5.8's so as a falling forecast i rigged my 6.0 but could only just hold on. After putting everything on in downhaul it was okay but Alan was on a 5.2 and said it was fine and I think that would have been a better size. It did drop a bit at the end but I was still very comfortably powered so had a good but short session with nice ramps but bnot enough fitness or energy to really go for it.

Adrian
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

I guess Sat was the day to go instead of Sunday then. Based on Justin's 5.8, I rigged a 6.0 and took out the 87lt Kombat.

Planned away from the beach on the first run but then started whallowing as I got further out. The wind seemed to drop for the next few runs until planing was only possible while riding the waves in the launch area so came in for a chat.

Decided I might have more luck with a bigger board so went back to the van to collect the 111lt Futura - not ideal for Weston - too fast and flat but it did atleast ensure I got a few fully planing runs before the wind dropped again.

Further chat at the beach and another attempt to sail when it looked like it had filled in again but that only resulted in more whallowing.

Decided to call it a day and headed home leaving Matt still playing in the shore break.

When we left it looked as though Justin had the best timing of the day, however may be Matt's late session trumped or equalled it. They both sound as though they had far more planing than me.

I did cheer up while carrying the Futura down to the water though - gazing across the channel, it didn't look as though the sunny side was living up to the unofficial tourist board's claims :shock:
If found, please return to the pub.
AlistairJ
water starter
water starter

Post by AlistairJ »

It was good to see everyone and get out again. I thought it was rather mild what with about 8 degrees air temp and water that still remembers the summer sun. Certainly less painful than the cold water rinsing I received at Aberavon last spring (the only time my trusty red Musto beany has failed to keep my bonce sufficiently warm).

Also I was pleased to find my fitness training is paying off. A few recent decent long runs on the mountain bike (Penhydd now only 2 hours) and expensively boring gym membership means I am no longer gasping for breath as soon as I've done the harness up. Still could do with a bigger board and wetsuit though.

Decided since Sunday that I am not going to sell up all my kit after all. As there is a small but finite chance of redundancy in the next year or so, it may come in handy!

Happy Christmas everyone!
Alistair
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

I thought it was rather mild what with about 8 degrees air temp and water that still remembers the summer sun.

8 degrees is well below the official Neroli 10 degree min standard that I thought was the de facto standard for the more sensible Nomads :shock:

If the sea remembers the Summer sun its got a better memory than me! :(
Graham
Ian Long
surf god
surf god

Post by Ian Long »

Yes, Neroli firmly believes she was tricked into going sailing :twisted:
If found, please return to the pub.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

8 degrees (ish) is my limit which makes me less sensible. :( I think I was only getting cold that day from the wobbling and dunking earlier on since I didn't suffer from the ice cream hands so it couldn't have been too bad. Unlike a few weeks before when I did my duty manning the rescue boat at the sailing club for several hours when it was 1 degree with a brisk Northerly blowing. I think I was close to being cryogenically frozen and could easily have been stored away for 10 years without ageing. :cry: :cry:
Anyway, I'm glad to hear AlastairJ's not selling his kit so I'll expect to see him at WSM a bit more next year, along with Graeme and his Kombat. You know it makes sense.
Last edited by Matt on Wed Dec 31, 2008 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
surf god
surf god

Post by Matt »

Oops, I meant Graham.
Graham_U
surf god
surf god

Post by Graham_U »

As I've spent a fair amount of time north of the Border I guess I can excuse you Matt. But I'm not sure about getting the Kombat muddy :???:
Graham
dro
surf god
surf god

Post by dro »

AND then the door will not stay open
What do you mean not ENOUGH wind ?